Progress call: 17:00 UTC
- Creating announcements module (danny)
- Central issue: in order to push announcements, users' freedomboxes need to regularly get updates. And that could generate information about IP addresses. We don't currently collect any such information.
- If we push the announcement as a "software update" within the debian package, then we can avoid some problems of collecting user data
- Debian packages already have a way of publising information about their updates (NEWS.debian). Maybe we can use this as a starting point--the freedombox UI can pick up this info and display it as an "announcement."
- Only high-priority user friendly descriptions, to avoid fatigue, e.g. just bi-weekly updates and apt issue, **not** NEWS from non-plinth packages
- post-discussion comment: Only ones that typically need some box owner action to fix? Though they may not be following updates, forums etc.
Email may be sent by FreedomBox to administrator based on the announcement information.
- Hackathon (danny)
- Saturday November 16: hackathon
- Do we want something casual or a full-blown hackathon?
- would be nice to spend part of the day brainstorming for future plans (e.g. iron out UI issues, technical issues). Discussing the underlying details
- What audience would be invited?
- people who are prepared with basic knowledge about freedombox and basic development skills. We shouldn't invite students because then we'd need to dedicate hours to setting up their development environment
- "core team" definitely includes contributors, general users interested could come to second half
- 9:00am-12:00pm: Open Discussion Session: participants discuss plans for the future (core team + anyone who comes to NYC for the event)
- 1:00pm-5:00pm: Hackathon Session: (1) help people set up their develpment enviroments, (2) installfest, and (3) guided coding
- Currently only in unstable, may change soon.
Supported by NetworkManager.
Plan to add WireGuard app, which allows peers to be added and lists their status.
- Package is stable, so can enable as soon as it hits testing
- hide under advanced, only until enough users have tried it (two weeks curation)
comparable to OpenVPN app, but some providers are offering native WireGuard support
- Document/explain how to connect multiple Freedomboxes together
- Platform support: available in windows, mac, linux, ios, android (even F-droid)
- Delay work until co-ordinated dev time available for testing:
- James planning to work on this 1st week of September.
CoC & Community Page (Danny)
- CoC is ready
- Community governance page wiki: are we ready to approve it?
- Updated with how decisions are made, incorporating community ideas
- Photos opt-in personal choice, otherwise avatar (Initials) will be used
- Design mock-up wanted for overlaying Initials onto butterfly logo
- ejabberd tor domain name, imminently released 19.15
- Coquelicot removed for buster - replace with onionshare available in stable
- email server tor deliverability difficulties
- needs dev time, no progress made other than more detail plan
bit hacky right now, wait for NetworkManager to implement it
- wifi usb dongle recommendation without binary firmware still has problems
- How to integrate permissions settings from apps to Users and Groups admin needs documenting
- e.g. Minetest admin permissions in config file
- plinth just cares about ldap group, so freedombox adds users to that
- apps should include config to reference the ldap group
- does Minetest support LDAP, otherwise a custom implementation needed in the module