Hack call: 14:00 UTC
- Critical issue in 0.49.x (James)
- Use something other than curl which can follow redirects.
- Check if unattended-upgrades is affected.
- FOSDEM Takeways (Danny)
- What came up most: reachability problem
- Nextcloud - we cannot expect this to be packaged in Debian
it might be strange to package nextcloud inside of FreedomBox because it offers so much of the same functionality
- Users wanted option to buy SDD or HDD with hardware kits,
- Times of India story
- Congratulations to the team in India
Swecha organizes lectures and activism about free software. After protesting Free Basics, activists started thinking about FreedomBox in rural villages.
Set up free VoIP calling within villages, media streaming. Goal is to use these FreedomBox services instead of centralized services like Whatsapp.
Set up old computers are FreedomBoxes
Not having to use internet connection for all internet services is one benefit of FreedomBox. People compare it to 4G.
Joseph talked about FreedomBox at XConf organized by Thoughtworks
- Matrix Synapse (Joseph)
- 1.0 migration
- Obtaining valid Let's Encrypt certificates for Server to Server communication
- Performance tuning
- SYNAPSE_CACHE_FACTOR is set to 1 by default, we'll try setting it to lower than 0.5
- 1.0 migration
- Testing before the full freeze (Danny)
- What do we need to do to identify any and all remaining bugs?
- Test on the LIME2 rev. G2 after the soft freeze
- We test backups with automated testing, but the automated backups does not apply older backups to the current version.
- Consider how to test restoring backups from older versions.
- What are the 1.0 blockers? (Danny)
- I saw that this issue was discussed in call notes from 2014-present, and the target keeps moving. What's stopping us from going 1.0?
- 1.0 should mean API stability for applications
- For Android app API, multiple versions can be supported.
- Announcing 1.0 comes with certain baggage.
- Question: do we want to label the buster stable release v1.0? It will be the stable image for 2 years.
- Proposal to detach major version number from marketing / PR.
- Proposal to use year.release like 19.1, 19.2, ... has general agreement.
- UI Issues
- What should be the homepage?
- All or Nothing proposal: user has options (1) to use default homepage which lists all apps, (2) upload a custom homepage created by user but would require some HTML/CSS skills
- Display apps v expose apps: Display is the option to show the app on the front page, exposure is the option make the app accessible in the public internet
- Should the home page itself be subject to on/off toggle?
- Nobody objects to this.
- The front page should be toggle-controlled.
- Do we need the option of individually selecting the apps that show up on the homepage to anonymous users?
- People agree that we need this option.
- Should this option be separate from expose? (i.e. display is if the icon is on the front page, and expose is if the app is available on the public internet)
- People agreed that the display and expose settings should be separate (e.g. users might want Mumble to be exposed on the public internet but not displayed on the homepage on the public internet)
- Do we need an "expose" option?
- People said it would be a good additional feature, but it's a secondary issue
- Expose or not is a bigger issue than display or not
- SUMMARY: We agreed (1) there will be an option to turn off the homepage entirely, (2) there will be an option to customize the homepage manually with HTML files, (3) there will be a per-app option on whether to expose or not on the hompeage, (4) there will be a per-app option on whether display or not on the homepage.
- BREAK HERE: We will continue the discussion on the next progress call.
- Should there be a way to control exposed links towards anonymous users?
- How should it be controlled?
- Should the default be "visible" for all?
- is it possible to use docker in freedombox? -> this could be a solution for applications like nextcloud
See this issue: https://salsa.debian.org/freedombox-team/plinth/issues/1451