These are the notes for the August 23rd, 2015 call, originally recorded at https://pad.riseup.net/p/irQXWArCyFgHT
FreedomBox 0.5 release discussion
- Points from meeting with Eben and Mishi (sunil)
- great meeting
- discussed/demoed current status
- introduced bhuvan, working on gnu social
- most of gnu social already in Debian
- already works in a vm.
- connected with enthusiastic student volunteers
- Plans for the 10/31 SFLC demo (sunil)
- (see previous meeting notes): software, firmware, ldap integration, client certificates, setup
- going ahead without client certificates if necessary.
- good exposure / demo
- attract new developers
- goal: double contributions / contributors by EOY.
- bdale and stefano will discuss FBX to attract new developers.
- it's good enough to use regularly?
- sunil to demo at SFLC
- focus on cubietruck, beaglebone and other fully-free stack devices (olinuxino).
- markus sent project danube device for demo, now in the mail.
- can we show a box without passwords? That would be an excellent demo: "The Box that Killed the Password"
- bigger role for FBF?
- can help with hardware? email Marc.
- sunil: radxarock, rpi (need cubietruck, olinuxino)
- james: dreamplug, beaglebone black, cubietruck
- nick: dreamplug, beaglebone black (this week!), raspberry pi (will pick up olinuxino next month)
- bhuvan: raspberry pi ()
Bugs and items for polish (sunil) [ https://github.com/freedombox/Plinth/milestones/Demo ]
- 0.6: Bugfix and Polish
Improve the FreedomBox-Experience for the demo! Focus on items marked "Bug"
- Marc is roping in Daniel who's experimenting with the box.
- Don't just focus on bugs, the enhancements will make the demo feel solid.
- 0.7: mod_auth_env (October?)
- Already there for ikiwiki, on a different directory.
- 0.6: Bugfix and Polish
- Proposal for new first boot experience (sunil)
- Looks beautiful
- No need to worry about client-certs now, no point in tripping ourselves up too soon.
- Test iptables firewall in ipv4-only configuration (nick)
- Raspberry Pi daily crashes/reset: firmware bugs (nick)
- Write how-to-hack-plinth page on the wiki (nick)
- Need Vagrant script to connect user to box.
- HACKING document exists, needs very minor updates.
- Need "app developer" document.
- What's the legal status of the logo? What should it be? SFLC to decide, see freedomboxfoundation.org for details. Probably not a great idea to reversemark because it'll be too easy to market a spywarebox as FBF. This detail is on the mailing list.
- Freedombox name and logo both have U.S. trademarks
- eventually will need to revisit trademark policy through the foundation
- [X] Start working on releasing 0.5
- [X] Sunil to request for upload permissions of freedombox-setup and pLinth for Nick Daly
- [ ] Sunil to help with Danube packaging etc.
- [ ] Danube edition changes of firstboot (pagekite voucher) should be deactivate-able by a config, can then be included in Plinth master (fonfon)
- [ ] Packaging of known and restore (markus)
- [ ] Bhuvan to work on GNU social packaging
- [ ] Diaspora integration to freedombox (Some one is packaging it for debian. Hope they complete it asap)
[ ] Investigate Coveralls (bobg). Local work has been done, but Coveralls itself has been down since last Wednesday for a hardware upgrade, so a pull request will be submitted as soon as I can authorize ?GitHub to expose our project to Coveralls.
- New app since the 0.5 release! Shaarli: merged today, similar to del.ici.ous.
- Sunil moved test suite to Plinth: we have a "Run Diagnositics" button next to each application that prints out the test details.
- Moving stuff out of FBX-Setup so we can control more things in Plinth. Basically shouldn't be anything in FBX-Setup when we're done.
Lots of stuff is just there and stubbed out, not working. Get rid of that.
- New contributor!
- PPOE configuration by Daniel.
- Daniel's moved on to other networking things.
- hostapd removed, again (sorry.)
- [ ] Review LDAP and ikiwiki (nick)
- [ ] Look at freedombox overall experience for polishing for demo (marc)
- [ ] Update "Use" instruction manual
- [ ] how to create app guide
- [ ] Bhuvan to work on GNU social packaging and integrate into FBX.