Tiny Tiny RSS (News Feed Reader)
Available since: version 0.9
Tiny Tiny RSS is a news feed (RSS/Atom) reader and aggregator, designed to allow reading news from any location, while feeling as close to a real desktop application as possible.
Any user created through FreedomBox web interface will be able to login and use this app. Each user has their own feeds, state and preferences.
Using the Web Interface
When enabled, Tiny Tiny RSS will be available from /tt-rss path on the web server. Any user created through FreedomBox will be able to login and use this app.
Adding a new feed
1. Go to the website you want the RSS feed for and copy the RSS/Atom feed link from it.
2. Select "Subscribe to feed.." from the Actions dropdown.
3. In the dialog box that appears, paste the URL for copied in step 1 and click the Subscribe button.
Give the application a minute to fetch the feeds after clicking Subscribe.
In some websites, the RSS feeds button isn't clearly visible. In that case, you can simply paste the website URL into the Subscribe dialog (step 3) and let TT-RSS automatically detect the RSS feeds on the page.
You can try this now with the homepage of WikiNews
As you can see in the image below, TT-RSS detected and added the Atom feed of WikiNews to our list of feeds.
If you don't want to keep this feed, right click on the feed shown in the above image, select Edit feed and click Unsubscribe in the dialog box that appears.
Importing your feeds from another feed reader
In your existing feed reader, find an option to Export your feeds to a file. Prefer the OPML file format if you have to choose between multiple formats. Let's say your exported feeds file is called Subscriptions.opml
Click on the Actions menu at the top left corner and select Preferences. You will be taken to another page.
Select the second tab called Feeds in the top header. Feeds has several sections. The second one is called OPML. Select it.
To import your Subscriptions.opml file into TT-RSS,
Click Browse and select the file from your file system
Click Import my OPML
After importing, you'll be taken to the Feeds section that's above the OPML section in the page. You can see that the feeds from your earlier feed reader are now imported into Tiny Tiny RSS. You can now start using Tiny Tiny RSS as your primary feed reader.
In the next section, we will discuss setting up the mobile app, which can let you read your feeds on the go.
Using the Mobile App
The official Android app from the Tiny Tiny RSS project works with FreedomBox's Tiny Tiny RSS Server. The older TTRSS-Reader application is known not to work.
To configure, first install the application, then in the setting page, set URL as https://<your.freedombox.address>/tt-rss-app/. Set your user name and password in the Login details as well as HTTP Authentication details. If your FreedomBox does not have a valid HTTPS certificate, then in settings request allowing any SSL certificate and any host.
Subscribing to popular platforms
1. On your computer open a text editor and copy-paste the following line: https://www.youtube.com/feeds/videos.xml?channel_id=</code>
2. Open a video of the channel you would like to subscribe to. In this example we will subscribe to the FreedomBox Foundation's YouTube channel.
3. Under the video, right click on the channel's name, and select Copy Link. You have to make sure you copy the channel's URL this way, as there many channels with custom URL IDs. Copying the link from here will give you the uncustomized ID of the channel.
4. Paste this link into your text file as well.
5. Now that you have both links, you should select the text which comes after /channel/, and place it next to the first link as shown in the pictures below.
6. Now you can use this link as a valid RSS feed.
In addition, you can make videos display inside Tiny Tiny RSS:
1. Select "Preferences" from the Actions dropdown.
2. Select Plugins
3. Turn on the plugin titled "af_youtube_embed"
4. Click on "Enable selected plugins"
Please note, that it is highly reccommended that you use one of the privacy extensions, like uBlockOrigin to avoid advertisements and intrusive trackers.
1. Take the link of the subreddit you want to subscribe to
2. Add .rss after the subreddit's url.
For example the subreddit for FreedomBox is https://www.reddit.com/r/Freedombox/, and https://www.reddit.com/r/Freedombox/.rss will give you an RSS feed.
Next call: Saturday, July 09 at 14:00 UTC
This page is copyright its contributors and is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International (CC BY-SA 4.0) license.