add thinkpad t450s
mention the many other updaters available
|Deletions are marked like this.||Additions are marked like this.|
|Line 19:||Line 19:|
== Other ==
[[https://packages.debian.org/search?suite=all&searchon=all&keywords=firmware+update|Many other]] packages are available for updating the firmware on specific hardware, so please search the Debian archive for your devices.
Known ways to update firmware on common hardware
This is a collection of known ways to update your built-in firmware (including BIOS, UEFI and other things like Intel ME) on well known common hardware.
Linux Vendor Firmware Service
fwupd utilizes a firmware database to fetch missing updates for your system and peripherals. Currently the vendor and device coverage is not too broad but it is a good starting point before you dive into vendor specific update procedures.
Servers, IoT and other devices usually have management systems which also allow you to apply various updates automatically or after downloading a firmware package from the vendor website.
Many other packages are available for updating the firmware on specific hardware, so please search the Debian archive for your devices.
Many current Dell devices can be updated with fwupd.
Latitude E series
- Download the file "Latitude_E7x70_1.18.5.exe" (or whatever is the current release).
- Move the file to "/boot/efi/".
- Boot into the one time boot menu with F12 during the BIOS/UEFI start.
- Select the "Flash BIOS Update" menu option.
- Use your mouse to select the update file visually and watch the magic.
- Download the BIOS Update bootable CD image from Lenovo "n1eur31w.iso" (Select Windows as OS so it's available for download).
Extract the eltorito boot image from the image geteltorito -o thinkpad.img Downloads/n1eur31w.iso.
Dump it on a USB thumb drive dd if=thinkpad.img of=/dev/sdX.
- Boot from this thumb drive and follow the instructions of the installer.