Adapted Debian tools so you can build/cross-compile DebianPackage s or adapted packages with an emdebian dir.
As it seems at the moment the ["Scratchbox"] environment seems to be a primary target to try out these things. With the advantage that we can ignore some cross-compilation issues, and that the tools are easily usable natively too.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
For Debian Sarge on i386 there is at least the following tool chain available:
Add whichever of these lines your need to your /etc/apt/sources.list:
deb http://www.emdebian.org/emdebian-tools/stable ./ deb http://www.emdebian.org/emdebian-tools/testing ./ deb http://www.emdebian.org/emdebian-tools/unstable ./
The "testing" and "unstable" distributions should be considered experimental at this time, and are currently poorly synced with Debian mainstream, so you may have to force things a bit.
To install the full toolchain (binutils, gcc, cpp, glibc), for e.g. ARM do:
aptitude update aptitude install gcc-3.4-arm-linux
You will also need the development libraries:
aptitude install libc6-dev-arm-cross
You can alternatively install gcc-3.3-arm-linux, or for arches where it all builds, gcc-4.0-arm-linux
- Current state of affairs.
- bring Ed's framework upto date with Etch.
- create configurations for various devices and document howto do it
- promote DEBUILD_OPTIONS=nodocs flag for not building docs
- promote DEBUILD_OPTIONS=notest for skipping tests
- co-operate with i386-uclibc team and embedded arch porters
- Kill scratchbox in it's current form and make a better scratchbox2
- Settle and stick in to one of: familiar/ipkg, emdebian or udebs
Set-up a buildd inside scratchbox (which should be possible as I heard that it has already been done) to start building more packages. (This will hopefully be possible when the emdebian server is back up). (Once I find out how to silence my proliant server I might hook it up to my internet line and provide a secondary build env)
Document setting up the buildd so ["people"]/ ["dev"]s can try it out for themselves.
Integrate ["uclibc"] in the story. This will definitely give some size boost toward smaller footprint to the packages.
Once we have proven that this works start pushing things into Debian proper.
- Make sure everything works with the successors of scratchbox
- Check the ARM build of Ubuntu
Well I hope I can open a fruitfull discussion with this and hope to see some more people starting to work on this.
February 25&26th [http://wiki.debian.org/EmDebian/Fosdem2006 Fosdem2006]
April 12-16 DebianEmbeddedWorkSessionExtremadura2006
May 14th - May 21st DebConf6