These are the steps to test whether Emacspeak release (our releases) works correctly.
Start Emacspeak using "emacspeak -q" command, that is without launching user init file. On startup Emacspeak plays a melody and speaks a message "Press ... perfectly". However the melody is only heard when a required mp3 playback program is present, probably mplayer. So don't worry if you don't hear the melody, but the message should be there.
Every movement command should cause the part that was moved by to be spoken. Try moving with arrows to hear the letters or lines. Try M-f M-b to hear the words. This may be tested on welcome page.
Try these commands whether they don't cause an unwanted behaviour or errors.
- S-down moves down bypassing empty lines
- C-right goes to next buffer
- M-x rmail - opens rmail application
Read only message
Create a new buffer, mark it as read only, try to type something. You should hear: "capital buffer is read hyphen only".
- C-x C-f aaa
- M-x toggle-read-only
- type a letter
Info pages were not always working correctly. In gui Emacs some of them were silent. Try movement commands (char, word, line) in 2 info buffers:
- M-: (info "(Emacs)")
- press Next to go to another info page
Try if transient mark mode works as expected. In some version it did not.
- C-x C-b - select "scratch" buffer with enter key or mouse
- go to the beginning of line 3
- C-space - mark the end of selection
- move to the beginning of line 2, line 2 highlights in yellow
M-x replace-string <enter> t <enter> X <enter>
The letter t should change to X, but only in the second line.
Auditory icons are funny sounds announcing things happening during edition and movement.
- C-e C-a - turn them on
- C-home - icon is played
- C-spc - another icon is played
- C-/ - undo, yet another icon
Check if undo bug is present:
- C-x C-f bbb - creates a new buffer
- Type "12"
- Go left
- delete (only "1" remains)
- Type "3"
- Buffer consists of "13"
- C-/ - undo, several undo presses should make the buffer empty again. The bug caused switching back and forth the last change.
Test if the version Emacspeak presents is really the one it should be.
- M-: emacspeak-version