dpkg >= 1.14.6 supports the use of a "Homepage:" field in debian/control. This should replace the Homepage pseudo-field in extended descriptions.
1.A Implement support in APT frontends.
1.B Adapt developer documentation such as the Developer's Reference.
1.C Add Homepage field to dh-make templates.
2. Make lintian stop issuing "I: unknown-field-in-control homepage".
3. Make linda and lintian issue a warning to packages including a homepage in their extended description.
A related bug: 339829
4. Add Homepage to Debian Policy Manual as a suggestion:
- Add an item to "Binary package control files -- DEBIAN/control"
- Homepage (no "mandatory" mention)
- Add a level 3 section to "List of fields":
The upstream project's home page URL. It should preferably contain and http(s) URL linking to a page describing the upstream project with access to the project's resources. This is an optional field
5. After some time, announce mass wishlist bug filing on debian-devel-announce.
6. After some time, proceed to mass wishlist bug filing.
7. After even more time, change the policy manual to should
8. file yet another round of bugs, now non-wishlist.
This page is based on [http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2007/09/msg00628.html a message from Christian Perrier to debian-devel] and the resulting thread. This page amended by Manoj Srivastava.