Design in Debian
Design in Debian is several things.
- Designability - the ability to apply high-level design patterns across a system - e.g. choose a color scheme and have it apply to desktops, console apps and web apps alike
- Creative designers - people using Debian for working in fields of creative design - e.g. UX design, web design, or Desktop Publishing
- Technical designers - people using Debian for working in fields of technical design - e.g. electronic circuit design or operating system security design
- Design artists - people making creative designs - e.g. logos or desktop themes
Design patterns - specific designabilities - e.g. theming of a graphical desktop
System design - technical choices of interactions between system components - e.g. a Debian Pure Blend
- Concrete design implementations - e.g. a logo or other artwork, or a concrete desktop theme
This page covers topics related to creative design. For technical design, see most other pages in this Debian wiki...
Debian Design Team
Debian Design team works on high-level creative designability of Debian, and on welcoming designers into Debian.
Please join if you are interested in discussing high-level creative designability of Debian, and collaborate with designers in Debian, designers using Debian, and package maintainers of design-related packages.
The Debian design team doesn't make other people's or existing team's work in the Debian ecosystem less important; we don't replace but complement and add value to their work.
Design for designers
Welcome to Debian!
You may want to consider using our DesignBlend - e.g. by installing one of its metapackages
Please consider joining the Design Team (see above).
DebianDesign Pure Blend
Debian Pure Blend for designers.
Design for all users of Debian
Make it easy for designers to make/ improve desktop designs in Debian.
Pilot project: Huayruru
Huayruru is a desktopdesign for a specific user group. Fix (or fork) a theme to fit two desktop environments (Sugar and XFCE).
Design for package maintainers
Help designers raise design issues towards package maintainers and their upstreams.
- Guide to bugreporting for designers
- List and illustration of common patterns (both flaws and good examples)
- Intro on easy starting points; where to hack.
Debian Design Resources
Also check out these links:
DebianDesktop - (also handling official wallpapers and system bootup splash screens)
Some external resources: