I just LOVE Debian GNU/Linux!! A robust, open and wonderful piece of software I have yet witnessed, and with an army of users, supporters, developers and maintainers to help you on the irc.freenode.org channels, what else could you more ask?
Moreover, I have recently decided to set somewhat extremely pretentious goal which was first set by EddyP who has already contributed to DebianInstaller, to finish/improve the Debian installer graphical front end. Check out the DebianInstaller/GUI.
I have been using Debian GNU/Linux for the last year or so and has been using and watching linux on and off since about January 2000.
After starting out way back with ?RedHat 6.2 , moving along the way to Mandrake 7.2 , 8.0 and 9.2 eventually to land safely onto Debian GNU/Linux.
I never used another OS since!
Some features which attracted me to Debian GNU/Linux more than other distributions I have tried and installed:
- Amazing package management and dependency resolution system. (apt, apt-get frontend)
- Unbelievable bug response time. (max of a week while using an unstable tree for critical bugs)
- A big happy bunch of debian users/developers/maintainers always willing to give a hand.
- Rock solid stability - even when using the unstable (sid) tree.
Non commercial , complete GNU GPL compliance nature, which leaves decisions to the community will, and allows all code to be available to the public. (read about the DFSG - DebianFreeSoftwareGuidelines)
Anyways, as you might have suspected it's true - I'm really addicted to it and am especially interested in exploring the future of personal desktop computing.
I believe that KDE along with GNOME and Debian GNU/Linux can make up the future desktop system on top of intet's cheap cheap hardware.. (Optimistic aren't I?)
I also explored ways to use Debian GNU/Linux as a:
- DVD player (connected to a 29' CRT TV)
- Music box
- Laptop OS (my pleasurable expirence yet, on an DELL INSPIRON 8200).
- Mail Server
If you see me on IRC don't hesitate to ask, if I don't know the answer I will try directing you to the person who might know about it. (he might forward you to someone else and so forth hack! when you come to think of it, you might be asking yourself questions eventually ;-> )
If you need any help with setting Debian GNU/Linux on a 8200 inspiron laptop feel free to contact me on irc.freenode.org's #debian , #debian-desktop , #debian-kde and others.. or you can mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org. I can't promise a response, as I have a lot other things I do but if I see I can even provide a starters or direction I will try to answer, even if it's merely to supply a web link to a relevant documentation regarding the subject.
- I have several nVidia cards scattered around my PC , laptop and another machine. If you need some help with setting it up under Debian GNU/Linux drop a line! (However it may require you to rebuild a custom kernel and do some other COOL stuff so be prepared to learn a bit more of the Debian way of installing and setting stuff and it's inner workings)
I used Andrew M. Shculman's howto:
- I also play the guitar for the last 7 years or so, if you know of a good TABS web site let me know...;)