This page is about Debian GNU/kFreeBSD Live CD.
We would like to have a Debian GNU/kFreeBSD Live CD but in order to have that we need to check the feasibility of it.
FreeBSD Live CD(s)
Step-by-step instructions on how to make a FreeBSD live CD - http://wiki.freebsd.org/AvgLiveCD
kFreeBSD live-build requirements
Overlaying filesystem support
- For Linux live-build uses UnionFS.
- On kFreeBSD UnionFS exists and works (with small issue where a changed file is listed twice in directory listing (plus "sometimes" an additional file of the same filename but appended with tilda (~)) but "ls"ing the file results only in one result).
# mount -t unionfs -o noatime /mnt/ /media/cdrom # mount | grep /media/cdrom /dev/cd0 on /media/cdrom (cd9660, local, read-only) <above>:/mnt on /media/cdrom (unionfs, local, noatime)
# ls /media/cdrom/ autorun.bat css doc md5sum.txt README.html README.txt autorun.inf debian firmware pics README.html README.txt~ boot dists firmware pics README.html~ boot dists install pool README.mirrors.html css doc install pool README.mirrors.txt
Storage device enumeration
- "Block devices" have been removed from FreeBSD:
- Prefixes of different types of disk (IDE hard disk, SCSI CDROM, etc) in /dev/ :
- Has the current kernel understanding of the system and sysctl is a clean way to access this information.
Use sysctl -a dev and parse the output.
Compressed root filesystem
- ZFS supports compression.
- Compressed UFS using uzip.
mkuzip from freebsd-utils Wheezy package but not in Squeeze package.
Kernel module to use uzip compressed filesystems is geom_uzip.ko.