Debian Releases > Debian Stretch
Stretch is the development codename for Debian 9.
It is the current stable distribution, released 2017-06-17.
Debian Stretch Life cycle
Before the release
2014-11-09: Distribution codename announced
- 2015-04-26: Jessie released, development on Stretch started
- 2016-03-03: Decided to defer everything by 2 months to release with Linux 4.10
- Q3 2016: Please finish up things for Stretch
2016-08-13: Stretch kernel will be Linux 4.9 LTS (decision)
- 2016-11-05: Transition freeze (general freeze of transitions)
- 2017-01-05: "Soft" freeze (no new packages, no re-entry, normal migrations)
2017-02-05: Full freeze (official announcement)
- 2017-06-03: Remaining RC bugs tagged stretch-ignore or stretch-will-remove
Release and updates
2017-06-17: Initial release: 9.0 (press release)
Stretch was released with 10 architecture ports as announced by the release team:
See New In Stretch
#NewInStretch blog posts
Changes in util-linux by Michael Prokop
New forensic packages by Michael Prokop
dbgsym packages by Michael Prokop
Lastest WebKitGTK+ by Jeremy Bicha
Packages & versions
The selected artwork theme for Stretch is softWaves.
Download CD: http://www.debian.org/CD/
Package Repository: http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/stretch/
Release information: http://www.debian.org/releases/stretch/
- Q) Which ''Toy Story'' character is Stretch?
see Wikipedia page