|Deletions are marked like this.||Additions are marked like this.|
|Line 6:||Line 6:|
| * Maintaining the [:DebianScience/CDD:Debian Science CDD]
- Provide to researchers and scientists better experience when using Debian.
- Classify, package and distribute free software useful to science and research.
- Support any quality efforts around free scientific software.
Maintaining the [:DebianScience/CDD:Debian Science CDD]
How to use it?
- You can use Debian Science perfectly as you are using Debian because it is a completely internal project and is nothing else than Debian itself. We just felt a need to found a team that works as a strike force for scientific software inside Debian.
There have been efforts to create a CDD (Custom Debian Distribution) for Debian/Science, but at the moment no installer is available. Please see the section: [:DebianScience/CDD:DebianScience/CDD]
A proposal to create a custom repository for science-related unofficial packages has been made; See DebianScience/UnofficialRepository
Inside Debian: DebianScience/DebianLinks
Outside resources related to science or scientific projects: DebianScience/OtherLinks
How to join
Debian Science has a mailing list [http://lists.debian.org/debian-science/ debian-science] ([http://murphy.debian.org/lists/debian-science/details.html its statistics]) created [http://lists.debian.org/debian-science/2005/07/msg00000.html thanks to Pascal Hakim]. And if you wonder why the mailing-list reply-to is set to the author instead of the list itself, [http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html read this].
Contributing to Debian Science
If you are willing to help: DebianScience/ContributingToDebianScience
Efforts that could be undertaken
Debian Science metapackages
The aim of the [http://cdd.alioth.debian.org/science/tasks/index.html Debian Science metapackages] is to provide a useful set of packages for someone working in a particular scientific field.
- ["DebianScience/Astronomy"] (named from field::astronomy debtag)
- ["DebianScience/Biology"] (named from field::biology debtag)
- ["DebianScience/Chemistry"] (named from field::chemistry debtag)
- ["DebianScience/Electronics"] (named from field::electronics debtag)
- ["DebianScience/Engineering"] (named from field::engineering debtag)
- ["DebianScience/Geography"] (named from field::geography debtag)
- ["DebianScience/Mathematics"] (named from field::mathematics debtag)
- ["DebianScience/Physics"] (named from field::physics debtag)
- ["DebianScience/Typesetting"] (named from use::typesetting debtag)
- ["DebianScience/Viewing"] (named from use::viewing debtag)
Other thematic links
Related links in this wiki