|Deletions are marked like this.||Additions are marked like this.|
|Line 4:||Line 4:|
|== Live CD that already exist ==||== Scientific Live CDs that already exist (pionneering works) ==|
|Line 6:||Line 6:|
|* [http://lists.debian.org/debian-science/2007/08/msg00046.html PaiPix], now based on DebianLive|
|Line 13:||Line 14:|
|=== debian-live ===
* 100% Debian
* Used also by DebianEdu and DebianGis (TODO: provide the relevant links)
|Line 23:||Line 32:|
|== More about Knoppix ==||==== More about Knoppix ====|
This page discusses the possible ways to build a ["LiveCD"] for DebianScience.
Scientific Live CDs that already exist (pionneering works)
[http://lists.debian.org/debian-science/2007/08/msg00046.html ?PaiPix], now based on DebianLive
CD or DVD ?
Should we put all the scientific tools on one single CD? If yes, then [http://lists.debian.org/debian-science/2005/07/msg00003.html a DVD should be more sensible].
Otherwise, if we want to stick to CD, maybe several thematic CD sets could be build.
Available tools that could be used for building live CD
Already used for [http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/quantian Quantian], so there is much experience with it.
- It works.
- Not 100% Debian (specific kernels and configuration packages).
- The knoppix mastering scripts and configuration packages have not yet been ported to Debian.
More about Knoppix
- Almost 100% Debian (currently the standard Debian kernels do not suit dfsbuild)
A simple config file for building the live CD (see [http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=311537 proof of the concept here]) makes it easy to customize.
X configuration is currently closer to a [http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=311537 hack].
- The config file (by construction) only properly handles lower case file names which may be a severe limitation.
- Do not yet support standard kernels.