Scientific Live CDs that already exist (pionneering works)
Vigyaan Vigyaan is an electronic workbench for bioinformatics, computational biology and computational chemistry based on KNOPPIX v3.7
CD or DVD ?
Should we put all the scientific tools on one single CD? If yes, then a DVD should be more sensible.
Otherwise, if we want to stick to CD, maybe several thematic CD sets could be build.
Available tools that could be used for building live CD
Already used for Quantian, so there is much experience with it.
- It works.
- Not 100% Debian (specific kernels and configuration packages).
- The knoppix mastering scripts and configuration packages have not yet been ported to Debian.
More about Knoppix
- Almost 100% Debian (currently the standard Debian kernels do not suit dfsbuild)
A simple config file for building the live CD (see proof of the concept here) makes it easy to customize.
X configuration is currently closer to a hack.
- The config file (by construction) only properly handles lower case file names which may be a severe limitation.
- Do not yet support standard kernels.
sidux Debian Sid (unstable) based Live CD