Astronomy in Debian Science
We are currently working on the creation of a specific blend for astronomy, which should cover both amateur and professional astronomers. The rest of the page is just a common scratchpad for ideas. Feel free to add your own ideas.
Ideas for a Debian Astronomy Blend
The discussion about the blend is still in firstname.lastname@example.org. Additional to editing this document, please join the discussion there.
- Create and maintain packages for astronomy related software
- Provide a standard environment for astronomers and observatories to develop own software
- Coordinate efforts with other distributions
- Involve upstream authors to make software distribution-friendly
Please add yourself here if you are interested.
- Ole Streicher
- Thibaut Paumard
- Decide for a name
- Setup Debian infrastructure, create mailing list etc.
- Startup sprint
- Collect interests in contributing:
- instrument software development groups
- observational astronomy
- high energy astropyhsics (also somehow related to high energy physics)
- Observatories and specific pipelines
- shell (like wcstools, qfits tools)
- python (matplotlib, astropy, numpy and such)
tcl (probably outdated? fitstcl & Co.)
- IRAF (hard to bring into Debian), ...
- IDL (non-free; what can be replaced by gdl? what about putting code to contrib?)
Software recommendations from other addons
Ubuntu Astronomy Remix http://www.fisica.edu.uy/~sroland/uar/project.html (2011; almost dead)
Mailing lists and user groups on other distributions
Gentoo (quite inactive): http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Astronomy
Source Code directories
Publication of efforts
Should we publish our efforts? Where?