Some software projects and some Debian developers provides extra repositories that you can use besides the official ones. There are various reasons why the software availaible in these repositories is not packaged in Debian. It could be because the software is not yet in Debian (dotdeb), legal concerns (deb-multimedia), or because the software itself is closed-source (e.g., Oracle, Opera). We use the following tags to describe the repositories, to get an idea of the trust you can put in these repositories.
- DD : The repository is managed by a Debian developer or a Debian maintainer
- FLOSS: the repository contains only free/opensource software
- COM: the repository is backed by an external commercial identity.
These tags can be combined
Here is a list of known places :
- Provides mostly multimedia packages for stable/testing/unstable, including non-free software. Note that the repository includes packages which override the official Debian versions of packages of the same names.
- OpenWRT fused with Debian
Follow on Twitter https://twitter.com/DebWrt
- Provides backports to Debian Stable of up to dates versions of the MySql/Php LAMP stack
- Provides non-free Chrome browser. (The official Debian archive contains packages for Chromium, the free software version of the same codebase.)
deb http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/ stable main
- Provides non-free Google Earth
deb http://dl.google.com/linux/earth/deb/ stable main
- Provides non-free Google Talk plugin
deb http://dl.google.com/linux/talkplugin/deb/ stable main
- Provides non-free mod_pagespeed for Apache
deb http://dl.google.com/linux/mod-pagespeed/deb/ stable main
- COM, FLOSS
- Provides the MongoDB database.
deb http://downloads-distro.mongodb.org/repo/debian-sysvinit dist 10gen
- Staging area and backports (Debian/Ubuntu) for neuroscience software
- FLOSS, COM
- Provides opennms, a Network Management Solution
- Provides the non-free Opera web browser
- Provides the Oracle Express Database (free of cost, but not DFSG free software).
deb http://oss.oracle.com/debian unstable main non-free
Provides non-free edition of VirtualBox. (A free software edition is in the contrib section of the Debian archive.)
- Provides all versions of PostgreSQL
- Provides the latest package versions of QGIS
Some more are listed in the Teams/Apt/Sha1Removal page.