add notes how to propose new packages
rewrite section how to integrate new package to git.debian.org
|Deletions are marked like this.||Additions are marked like this.|
|Line 105:||Line 105:|
|== Tasks for team members ==|
|Line 106:||Line 107:|
|=== Uploading your project to git repository ===||=== Uploading proposed package to the team git repository ===|
|Line 108:||Line 109:|
| * First create a repository on git.debian.org:
$ ssh git.debian.org
$ cd /git/pkg-multimedia
$ ./setup-repository <project>
* Then import the sources locally, register the remote archive and push your commits (i.e. upload changes) with the following commands:
|Line 110:||Line 125:|
|$ git-import-dsc <project>_0.0.1-1.dsc||$ bash # start new subshell for safely modifying variables
$ export GIT_AUTHOR_NAME="Proposers Name"
$ export GIT_AUTHOR_EMAIL="Proposers email"
$ git-import-dsc --prstine-tar <project>_0.0.1-1.dsc
|Line 114:||Line 135:|
|$ git remote add alioth ssh://<user>@git.debian.org/git/pkg-multimedia/<project>.git||$ git remote add alioth ssh://email@example.com/git/pkg-multimedia/<project>.git|
|Line 120:||Line 141:|
|$ git push alioth pristine-tar
$ git push alioth
|Line 122:||Line 147:|
== Tasks for team members ==
=== Creating new project git repository ===
$ ssh <user>@git.debian.org
$ cd /git/pkg-multimedia
$ ./setup-repository <project>
<user> ''your alioth account user name''
|$ exit # temporary subshell
This page contains information already on other pages. Help is welcome to remove the duplicate parts, and to update or remove the obsolete parts. No need to ask before editing.
Packages maintained by the Debian Multimedia Team
Here you can find a list of packages maintained by the Debian Multimedia Team:
New packages should set the Maintainer field to Debian Multimedia Maintainers <firstname.lastname@example.org>. Existing packages should move to using that address on a best-effort basis.
All source packages shoud use the pkg-multimedia git area in alioth.
How to help with packaging
The Debian Multimedia Maintainers need help to create new Debian packages and maintain the existing ones. If you want to contribute to this effort, but you are new to the Debian packaging systems, here follows some information to get you started.
- Packages should use git, as mentioned above. Desirable is being able to use git-buildpackage.
Upstream sources should be kept in the upstream branch and the the debian packaging in the master branch.
Quilt should be used for patch management, and the master branch should only differ from the upstream branch in files inside the debian/ directory. This means no direct changes to the source in the master branch.
The maintainer field should be set to Debian Multimedia Maintainers <email@example.com>
The git repository should be hosted in alioth, under the pkg-multimedia project. It should forward commit messages to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
- You can use the setup-repository script in /git/pkg-multimedia to create the bare repository with commit messages enabled. The repository should be named as the source package name for the message forwarding to work (eg, the repository for source package liblo is named liblo.git).
- The control file should use the Vcs-Git and Vcs-Browser tags.
One change per commit. This is very important, it eases review, cherry picking, bisecting (and thus debugging) and backporting.
- Do not commit the debian changelog along with the changes. It makes cherry picking and backporting changes easier. The changelog is generated with git-dch at the time of upload.
- After each upload, the first commit should be creating a new changelog entry, to ease testing of unreleased packages.
git-buildpackage online documentation (offline: /usr/share/doc/git-buildpackage/manual-html)
Proposing new packages for pkg-multimedia
If you are confident with your package, propose it for review on the pkg-multimedia-maintainers mailing list. Link to your package preferably in a way that can be easily used with ?dget.
- Members of the team will then review your package and give you hints how to improve it. If the package is "good enough" (at the reviewer's discretion), he will setup a repository on git.debian.org and integrate your package while preserving attribution.
Working on existing packages with git for newbies
We generally follow the workflow and defaults of git-buildpackage
locate the packaging branch on http://git.debian.org. All pkg-multimedia branches have pkg-multimedia in their url. Click on the leftmost link in that line. That will bring you to the summary of the project.
- Note the metadata just above the shortlog, it contains 2 URLs, one of
them starting with git://
then git-clone(1) to get a copy of the repository. E.g.
git clone git://git.debian.org/pkg-multimedia/jack-audio-connection-kit.git
- Do changes to that branch, build the package, test your changes, and commit early and often!
- If someone else has committed while you are working on the branch, you need to integrate his changes. For this you have 2 options:
- if your local changes are rather minor and clean, use git rebase:
git fetch origin git rebase origin/master
if you rather don't want to break your history because you think that your changes are rather large and are likely to interfere with the other changes, better merge them with git-pull(1):
git pull origin
In case you want to cleanup your local commits before pushing, use git-rebase(1):
git rebase -i origin/master
- You will be presented a textfile where you can specify what of your local commits you want to modify, drop or squish (merge with the previous one). You can also improve your commit message here. Make sure that you don't rewrite already published commits.
In order to get comments on your (preferably cleaned up) commits, use git-format-patch(1) to generate patches of your commits and email them to the mailing list. Any committer can do this while preserving attribution.
- None of the steps above require membership in the pkg-multimedia alioth group. All of that can be done totally anonymously!
Tasks for team members
Uploading proposed package to the team git repository
- First create a repository on git.debian.org:
$ ssh git.debian.org $ cd /git/pkg-multimedia $ ./setup-repository <project>
- Then import the sources locally, register the remote archive and push your commits (i.e. upload changes) with the following commands:
$ cd /path/to/sources/ $ bash # start new subshell for safely modifying variables $ export GIT_AUTHOR_NAME="Proposers Name" $ export GIT_AUTHOR_EMAIL="Proposers email" $ git-import-dsc --prstine-tar <project>_0.0.1-1.dsc $ cd <project> $ git remote add alioth ssh://firstname.lastname@example.org/git/pkg-multimedia/<project>.git $ git push alioth master $ git push alioth upstream $ git push alioth pristine-tar $ git push alioth $ git push alioth --tags $ exit # temporary subshell
Work in progress : We're checking all the WNPP bugs and updating infos on this page.