This page is used to prepare the next release announcement to be sent to debian-devel-announce and debian-boot mailing lists.
This announce has now been published. If something has to be updated, that's on the website (webwml repository).
Title: Debian Installer Wheezy Release Candidate 2 release
The Debian Installer team is pleased to announce the second release candidate of the installer for Debian Wheezy.
Improvements in this release of the installer
- accessibility/gdm3: Introduce basic orca support (#689559).
- brltty: Fix getting stuck in text mode installer (#705196).
- localechooser: Update to latest translations of ISO-3166.
- Use “dpkg-query -s” instead of “dpkg -l” to check for package installation (#700939).
- Fix logic WRT netcfg/disable_dhcp vs. netcfg/use_autoconfig. The latter was ineffective (#703747, #688273).
- Install iw along with wireless-tools on the target system, it's the current de facto standard wireless tool (#697890).
- rootskel-gtk: Make sure “theme=dark” works despite some changes in last brltty versions (#696968).
- ttf-cjk-compact: Update for wheezy (#690523).
Hardware support changes
- New image on armhf: netboot for vexpress.
- initramfs-tools: Include more HID drivers into base, so that input drivers available in the installer also work in the installed system (#697619).
- linux kernel:
- Replace DRM_PSB with DRM_GMA500 (and DRM_GMA600, DRM_GMA3600, DRM_MEDFIELD).
- Reenable MS Virtual PC guests in the ata_piix module.
- Add hid-topseed to input-modules for use in the installer (#702611).
- efi: Ensure efivars is loaded on EFI systems (#703363).
- efivars: Work around serious firmware bugs.
- Backport drm and agp subsystems from 3.4.37 for better graphics support (intel, nouveau, radeon).
- Bluetooth: ath3k: Add support for VAIO VPCEH [0489:e027] (#700550).
- media/rc: Add iguanair driver from Linux 3.7 (#696925).
- rt2800: add chipset revision RT5390R support (#696592).
- armhf/mx5: Fix missing storage drivers and fix network driver selection for the installer.
- Add specialised USB keyboard/mouse drivers to input-modules for use in the installer: hid-a4tech, hid-cypress, hid-ezkey (#697035), hid-kensington, hid-keytouch, hid-kye, hid-multitouch, hid-ortek, hid-primax, hid-quanta, hid-samsung, hid-speedlink.
- radeon: Relax firmware checks for DRM/KMS before R600 chips (#697229).
- [armel/versatile,armhf/vexpress] i2c: Enable I2C, I2C_VERSATILE as modules (#696182).
- net: Add alx driver for Atheros AR8161 and AR8162 (#699129).
- [x86] i915: Invert backlight brightness control for various models including Packard Bell NCL20 (#627372) and eMachines G725 (#680737). Can also be enabled with the invert_brightness=1 module parameter.
- Backport the virtio-scsi module (#686636).
- Enable the line6 module (#700211).
- Translation is complete in 57 languages (English included) out of 75 supported languages.
Known issues in this release
- [ Errata on grub-installer ]
Feedback for this release
We do need your help to find bugs and further improve the installer, so please try it. Installer CDs, other media and everything else you will need are available at our web site.
The Debian Installer team thanks everybody who has contributed to this release.