This page is used to prepare the next release announcement to be sent to debian-devel-announce and debian-boot mailing lists.
This announce has now been published. If something has to be updated, that's on the website (webwml repository).
Title: Debian Installer Wheezy Beta3 release
The Debian Installer team is pleased to announce the Wheezy Beta3 release of the installer for Debian Wheezy.
Improvements in this release of the installer
- Speech synthesis: add support for more languages (#684473).
- GNU/kFreeBSD: Fix broken kfreebsd-9 CD graphical install menu entry (#686858).
- GNU/kFreeBSD: Tweak memory settings to fix the graphical install (#686861).
- Artwork: Update to use the official Debian logo, which has a suitable license now.
- Install wheezy by default instead of sid on armhf and s390x.
- apt-cdrom: Fix download of all description translations (#678227).
- apt-cdrom: Fix issues with multi-arch CD-ROMs.
- busybox: Include ping and ping6.
- cdebconf: Enumerate choices horizontally for speech synthesis (#682538).
- efi-reader: Build on amd64 and i386.
- fonts-samyak: Fix misrendered spaces for several Indian languages (#687176).
- isc-dhcp: Fix several security issues (#686174).
- libdebian-installer: Add "efi" as a subarchitecture for amd64 and i386.
- localechooser: Improve charset support for bare Linux console and for network-console installations (#677931).
- localechooser: Stop ignoring non-ASCII country names (#687249).
- lowmem: Update limits.
- netcfg: Add full IPv6 support.
- netcfg: Map localhost to ::1 as well as 127.0.0.1 (#686970).
Hardware support changes
Add EFI support for 64-bit PCs (amd64), allowing installation in EFI mode instead of using the legacy BIOS. This does not include any support for UEFI Secure Boot - that will come later.
- 73 languages are supported in this release.
- Full translation for 37 of them.
Feedback for this release
We do need your help to find bugs and further improve the installer, so please try it. Installer CDs, other media and everything else you will need are available at our web site.
The Debian Installer team thanks everybody who has contributed to this release.