- Downloads and extracts all the files needed and takes care of organizing them.
- Prepares a top level menu, which allows one to choose from all installed netboot images.
- Supports PXElinux, grub-efi and secure boot.
- Adds non-free firmware to the installer images easily.
- Helps with preseeding the installer in order to set up systems completely automatically.
- Sysadmins, who need to configure network boot services to install machines (completely automatic, if preseeding is used) over the network.
- Developers, who need to install new versions and distributions often.
The README.installbox shows how to temporary turn your machine into an 'installbox', ready to netboot and install clients. In addition, some ansible playbooks that might be useful as inspiring examples are available.
The list of supported netboot images contains many Debian releases as well as some derivatives.
- Debian GNU/Linux Installation Guide
Preparing Files for TFTP Net Booting (for i386)
Booting the installer / Booting from network (for i386)
Bugs : di-netboot-assistant in the BTS.
../NetbootMetadata - metadata proposal, for di-netboot-assistant v1.0