Paraphrased minimum requirements from various sources with some guesses by me.
4 MB: For SLINK ?LowMem-Disks
8 MB: For SLINK ?LowMem-Disks
12 MB: SLINK Srandard Floppys, or POTATO ?LowMem
16 MB: POTATO and WOODY with standard Disks, or d-i for Sarge I'll try to test this
There is a hack involving LVM and a live cd filesystem that should reduce d-i to requring about ?8MB of RAM.
Boot Requirements are one of:
- Floppy disk(s): d-i requires a 1.68 MB (aka. High Density) drive for floppy boots
- CD-ROM: d-i can be loaded by booting from a CD drive. It should even work for mini-cd's
- Network: A netboot complient system for diskless installs.
- USB: Possible, but likely would require a lot of hacking.
Installation media requirements:
CD-ROM: CD-ROM drive is of course required for CD-ROM installs, but booting from CD-ROM is not required. The CD must be able to hold all the desired udebs. Multi-CD installs possible?
Floppy disks: Ones big enough for the largest udeb file you might want to place on it. How big is it for worst/best cases?
USB storage device: Enough space for your udebs. Multi removable storage unit installs?
Network: Enough bandwidth to get all the desired udebs. Support for http or ftp over TCP on ?IPv4 Is ipv6 supported?
- 386 Computers support only 16 MB of Memory so that means d-i may require a 486.
- certain subarches aren't yet supported