bringing klibc under attention
request details about apt-setup question priority downgrade
|Deletions are marked like this.||Additions are marked like this.|
|Line 28:||Line 28:|
|* Please add a reference to discussion about this or explain the issue with installing KDE. -- FilipusKlutiero|
|Line 67:||Line 68:|
|* Check what happened to development packages due to [http://bugs.debian.org/301138 #301138] possibly getting solved|
This is a tracking page for issues that need to be dealt with before we can release RC2 of DebianInstaller for Etch.
Note that we may work around some of these issues by not including certain problematic architectures in the beta release.
- For day-to-day issues, see ["DebianInstaller/Today"].
Release goals overview
- Kernel 2.6.18 - waiting for next kernel upload
- Graphical installer
- cleaning up and debugging
- check what is really supported and what not (mainly powerpc)
- still some keymap issues
- Check d-i memory usage (all arches!) and update lowmem limits
- Test free memory check in partman-(auto-)crypto
- Re-activate Kurdish is the team reaches enough completion in packages/po/sublevel1/ku.po (default install path fully localized). This is of course non blocking.
Switch from dhcp to dhcp3 in d-i and for installed system?BRNote: done for installed system; post-Etch for d-i
- Recognize netinst/full CD installs so we can lower priority on the "use mirror" question in apt-setup; note: this may make installing KDE task from full CD practically impossible
Please add a reference to discussion about this or explain the issue with installing KDE. -- FilipusKlutiero
- Make "expert" install default to "priority=medium"?
- Both newt and gtk frontends have "dark" theme for visually handicapped
- Graphical installer
- some keyboard/keymap issues solved
- touchpads now work (though not yet optimal)
- automatic switching of default font on language selection
- Language support
Added: Belarusian, Georgian, Malayalam, Kurdish (!)
- No longer supported: ...
- Support for ftp protocol re-enabled (though without selection from country/mirror lists)
- Maybe blocking
- CD-ROM support on sparc32 (esp) broken in kernel; see e.g. #393786
NTFS resize corruption for Vista partitions (NTFS 3.1) ([http://bugs.debian.org/379835 #379835])
- Patch committed for partman-partitioning that disables partitioning for Vista partitions
- "device switching" after reboot on systems with multiple NICs or HD controllers; is really an old issue but occurs more frequently after switch to udev (see persistent device naming above)
- Graphical installer
Usability: <enter> does not activate <Continue> button for some template types
- Not possible to generate random keys (often used for swap) for crypto setup due to missing entropy plugin
- Some issues for ppc:
- floppy installations broken because device node for swim3 module is not generated by udev (probably kernel issue)
Some display problems using UTF-8 locales ([http://bugs.debian.org/348032 #348032] and ["UTF8BrokenApps"])
To Do before release
- Wanted packages
- Check status/issues/migration for non-d-i udebs
Check what happened to development packages due to [http://bugs.debian.org/301138 #301138] possibly getting solved
- Update debian-cd
Hopefully there won't be an RC3.
Post-Etch ("Lenny") development
- Support to load and install from more than one full CD or DVD
- Supplemental repository support for udebs
Started by Bastian Blank, probably won't happen for beta3; work parked in people/waldi
- Implement/improve/test IPv6 support
- unlikely for Etch as busybox lacks IPv6 support for e.g. wget
- Find replacement for the ISC DHCP client in d-i (dhcp3 is really too big for d-i; busybox has something but that will probably need to be extended to avoid regressions; klibc has also a DHCP client, it even can identify itself with vendor id "d-i" )
- Removal of 2.4 kernel support
- code cleanup
- Finish last bits of udeb transition
- Persistent device naming for disks
- Merge ext3 support into partman-basicfilesystems so it is available by default in lowmem installations
- Split the initrd into three
- the 1st containing the basic system
the 2nd containing drivers for the latest hardware (so only this "initrd" needs modification for new hardware)?BRFJP: is this even realistic?
the 3th being language support, which only gets loaded if enough memory is available - [http://wiki.debian.org/I18n/Extremadura2006ModularizingD-I more detailed plans for this]
- Change "link in /" to "link in /boot"?
- Add option to load additional CDs during pkgsel (needs support in cdebconf for switching CDs during tasksel?)