Added link to Ted Tso message to d-boot about resize_inode
|Deletions are marked like this.||Additions are marked like this.|
|Line 26:||Line 26:|
|* Change ext3 mkfs to include the resize_inode option at least with LVM||* Change ext3 mkfs to include the resize_inode option at least with LVM (see [http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2006/08/msg00740.html this message] from Ted Tso)|
This is a tracking page for issues that need to be dealt with before we can release RC1 of DebianInstaller for Etch.
Note that we may work around some of these issues by not including certain problematic architectures in the beta release.
- For day-to-day issues, see ["DebianInstaller/Today"].
Release goals overview
- Switch to 2.6.17
- Removal of 2.4 kernel support
- code cleanup
remove devfs support (could be risky; see also Colin's [https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NoMoreDevfs devfs migration plan])
- Add/check 2.6 floppies for i386, sparc
- Library upgrade for graphical installer
- Supplemental repository support for udebs
- Started by Bastian Blank, probably won't happen for beta3
- Persistent device naming
- Merge ext3 support into partman-basicfilesystems so it is available by default in lowmem installations
Change ext3 mkfs to include the resize_inode option at least with LVM (see [http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2006/08/msg00740.html this message] from Ted Tso)
Note: changes below may need partman-auto user interface change; see [http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2006/06/msg01187.html this mail] and follow ups
- Get Simon Huggins to fold in the working partman-auto-raid stuff (+ partman-auto/grub-installer) changes for preseeded automated RAID installs.
- automatic font switching on language selection
- cleaning up and debugging
- check what is really supported and what not (mainly powerpc)
- Philip Hand's preseeding changes
- Update/replacement of/for localization-config
- Implement/improve/test IPv6 support
- SELinux support
- Support installation of Sarge?
[http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2006/07/msg00744.html Stop creating /etc/environment] ([http://bugs.debian.org/379052 #379052])
- Change "link in /" to "link in /boot"?
- Switch from dhcp to dhcp3 in d-i and for installed system
- Get currently untranslated messages during pkgsel translated
- Add option to load additional CDs during pkgsel (needs support in cdebconf for switching CDs during tasksel)?
- Recognize netinst/full CD installs so we can lower priority on the "use mirror" question in apt-setup; note: this may make installing KDE task from full CD practically impossible
- Add ppc64 support
- Make "expert" install default to "priority=medium"?
- 2.4 support removed for i386 in installer/build
- library upgrade
- Option to install extra individual packages in pkgsel (boot prompt or preseeding)
- More new arm subarches
- none yet
- Maybe blocking
NTFS resize corruption for Vista partitions (NTFS 3.1) ([http://bugs.debian.org/379835 #379835])
- "device switching" after reboot on systems with multiple NICs or HD controllers; is really an old issue but occurs more frequently after switch to udev
- Some issues for ppc:
- floppy installations broken because device node for swim3 module is not generated by udev (probably kernel issue)
- some subarches currently disabled
Airport Extreme broken in 2.6.16 ([http://bugs.debian.org/358833 #358833]; reported by Eugen Dedu)
- snd-powermac no longer loaded by default as it will lock up some systems; add to /etc/modules manually
Some display problems using UTF-8 locales [http://bugs.debian.org/348032 #348032] and ["UTF8BrokenApps"]
To Do before release
- Check d-i memory usage (all arches!)
- Check status/issues/migration for non-d-i udebs
- udeb removals (temporary, unofficial g-i udebs)
- Request removals for remaining 2.2/2.4 kernels and kernel udebs
- Update debian-cd
- No longer include 2.4 stuff
- Update tasks and popcon
- Finish last bits of udeb transition (not required)
Hopefully not much...