One of the most relevant transition for squeeze is related to the HDF5 library. Upstream 1.6 branch is now dropped in favor of 1.8. HDF group had not a past history of friendliness towards packagers needs. The 1.8.x branch has still a series of open issues ATM.
Relevant list threads:
- Multiple flavors with different library (S0)names, but conflicting -dev packages.
- MPI support still open.
- Removing thread-safety against C++/Fortran bindings limitations and leave users to their dooms.
- Fixing/verifying multi-threading?
- Removed limitation in mixing thread-safe option and multiple bindings. Added a note in the README file to warn users against use of C++/Fortran bindings within multi-threading programs.
- Still conflicting -dev packages.