Announcement: <announcement URL>
- Location: not in brussels, but online
- Start: feb 6, 2021
- End: feb 7, 2021
Main website: https://fosdem.org/2021/
Debian stand: https://stands.fosdem.org/stands/debian/ with links to videos and chat room
Debian stand chat room via Matrix: https://chat.fosdem.org/#/room/#debian-stand:fosdem.org
Debian stand chat room via freenode.net IRC bridge: #fosdem-debian-stand
FOSDEM coordinates stands at https://stands.fosdem.org/
If you plan to attend the event you are welcome to help at the booth, just add yourself to the table below and get in touch with <event coordinator> for coordination and have a look to <announcement mail>.
- [v] announcement mail
[v] apply for a booth at https://stands.fosdem.org/submission/
- [ ] "urgent" upload videos to FOSDEM Debian stand; 2x identified; target 4x
- [ ] create a poster or other promoting material
- [ ] register additional people, which hopefully join the team. especially our matrix room needs more moderators, ideally
- from different timezones.
- [v] get a proper irc bridge set up. (fosdem orga kindly suppled this ; @half-shot:fosdem.org)
[ ] update DebianEvents
See https://lists.fosdem.org/pipermail/fosdem/2020q4/003167.html for information about what a virtual stand would be.
we use https://pad.weho.st/p/debianboothfosdem for coordination
On jan 11 2021, fosdem orga wrote us:
"Congratulations on your stand at FOSDEM 2021."
We should upload our static video stuff using instructions from https://github.com/FOSDEM/stands-website
"FOSDEM will set up all chatrooms (documentation will follow) and provide a way to upload video's easily." ( Message-ID: <email@example.com>, Fri, 22 Jan 2021)
Chat Infra, Debian Booth Welcome presentation, and Prerecorded Video's
On Thu, 14 Jan 2021 23:16:38 +0000, matix/fosdem orga wrote: "FOSDEM is providing a Matrix chatroom with integrated video conference (jitsi) and livestream (of that jitsi) via Matrix for each stand. You can then use the jitsi to screenshare when you want to broadcast presentations."
There is a matrix chat room @ " #debian-stand:fosdem.org " on https://chat.fosdem.org/ , this room is bridged to Freenode IRC (see details above).
We have a dedicated time slot, see https://fosdem.org/2021/schedule/event/debian_welcome/ (2021-02-06 Sat 09:30--10:00 CET , UTC+1)
Videos - A first shot at a selection to be enjoyed by people interested in Debian and our Booth:
< urbec> regarding NM, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BEBEYujBkM is a bit older and has comparison of old/new process. (https://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2016/debconf16/New_Members_BoF.webm)
And there's also https://blog.einval.com/2020/01/30#Lincoln2020 : steve's talk from about a year ago; slides only, no video
Not yet reviewed Videos:
https://peertube.debian.social/videos/watch/b764fc94-b455-45f5-a62a-24ec6131112e#:pinball-sensor-rzr-2020: (could be updated to show debian on RPi)
As of Friday, there's infra for us to upload 4 video's.
Additional possible video source options include:
Some non-English ones; might be interesting for the even more international audience we expect at this virtual FOSDEM:
https://peertube.debian.social/videos/watch/87ec9013-2b9d-49cd-9829-767e23d4025e might be interesting as an introductory video on what is debian
https://peertube.debian.social/videos/watch/not_english might be interesting as an introductory video on what is debian
Legend: + = will be there, - = won't be there, ? = unsure, / = will be there partially, blank = unknown, bold = booth responsible ; times are in CET, UTC+1
Helping around volunteering at FOSDEM Online so helping setting things up a bit
joostvb and stappers have volunteered to make this happen. urbec is lending a hand. rumour has it that utkarsh2102 might have some time. Jean-Philippe MENGUAL expressed interest. adria will drop by.
At Thu, 04 Feb 2021 22:33:07 +0100, fosdem orga wrote: "[The matrix chatroom] is your way to interact with your visitors, so make sure that someone is present during the conference hours (9:30 - 18:00 CET)."
Please add links to reports, blog posts, photos etc about the event here:
Yes we even have a physical booth this year:
- My two cents (adria)
- Being part of the Debian (virtual) stand for my very first time was a great experience. Although I haven't met many people I've met some and I had fun.
- I would recommend it to you if you're considering it either virtual or in the real life: you'll enjoy a good time hanging out with Debian folks - they are really nice people!
- However, do a minimal plan in advance and align with the tasks that you'll be in charge of. They are simple and easy to do, but doing things in the last minute, specially if you aren't experienced in them, will result in extra pressure. That would be my advice.
- I had the feeling I asked too much, but sometimes it's worth to ensure you're in the right path until you feel comfortable. However I was supported by others more experienced and that was a relief.
It's a different way of enjoying FOSDEM, you can combine it with attending talks or other stuff, so what are you still deciding? Join the team!
A report got posted in <20210208201857.GY4254@beskar.mdcc.cx>.