Needs heavy reorganisation, please help to tidy this site up (jever) debalance is doing the heavy reorganisation now, please give him a few days
Debian Edu / Skolelinux
What is it?
is a Debian project to make the best distribution for educational purposes.
You can read more about here.
is the name of a Debian Pure Blend which is produced by the Debian Edu project.
"Skole" ([skuːl]) is the Norwegian form of "school". Both "skole" and "school" comes from the Latin word "schola".
- Provide a complete software solution using free software and ...
- tailored for the needs and use-cases in educational scenarios.
- preconfigured for easy installation (standalone, as well as network-wide rollout).
- easy to use, maintain, and administer.
supporting your language natively.
- Classify and package all free software related to education.
- Write documentation to describe how to use the various softwares (in an educational context).
- International availability, currently being translated into XX languages
Consider running a test installation with virtual machines.
A list of tested hardware is available. Please update it with the computers you have available.
Please try to learn more about Debian Edu first. Use the search function of this wiki!
- If you don't find usable information and solutions for your problem, talk with us. See below!
Talk to us
ML - mailing lists
The coordination of this project happens on the debian-edu mailing list.
Further /MailingLists deal with user support, translation, and other issues.
GMANE provides gateways to them as well.
IRC - internet relay chat
development ldap user admin tool
Learn more from here
Here you can find a complete list of packages which are included by the Debian Edu metapackages; feel free to propose changes (to this as well as to the metapackages) on the mailing list.
For an easy installation of the education-related software, there are some metapackages for DebianEdu.
see packages : education-tasks (all education-*packages)
If you are a developer you might be interested to fix some bugs. Have a look at the bugs of related packages.
Debian Edu Wiki
- We try to put all useful information (or at least links to it) into these pages.
- You can also edit everything or place comments on any page; this is a wiki! (You may have to login first.)
Any change in the Debian Edu section of the wiki will be noticed by the Debian Edu team.
Learn more from other places
- View existing bugreports and feature requests; or create new ones.
- Become informed about alternatives to 'standard' commercial software and using linux.
Other languages: French, German, Greek, Norwegian, Polish, Spanish
We have a 2 page flyer availible in over a dozen languages (as PDF and for OOo), including:
Help us improve
Everyone can help
- You can help in many ways:
Tasks for Debian Developers
- You can help in many ways:
package and maintain the software listed in /ToPackage
package and maintain any software listed in Ofset that is not yet in Debian
- sponsor non-Debian developers who are packaging education related software
integrate existing external packages into Debian; see /ToIntegrate
help with DebianInstaller to produce an even friendlier installer for people with limited computer-skills
Preparing the next IRC meeting