|Deletions are marked like this.||Additions are marked like this.|
|Line 7:||Line 7:|
|Line 39:||Line 40:|
|Line 58:||Line 59:|
|Line 87:||Line 88:|
|Line 108:||Line 109:|
|Line 136:||Line 137:|
|Line 153:||Line 155:|
|Line 155:||Line 158:|
|Line 170:||Line 175:|
|Line 210:||Line 215:|
Needs heavy reorganisation, please help to tidy this site up (jever)
debalance is doing the heavy reorganisation now, please give him a few days
About Debian Edu / Skolelinux
What is it?
is a Debian project to make the best distribution for educational purposes.
You can read more about here.
is the name of a Debian Pure Blend which is produced by the Debian Edu project.
"Skole" ([skuːl]) is the Norwegian form of "school". Both "skole" and "school" comes from the Latin word "schola".
- Provide a complete software solution using free software and ...
- tailored for the needs and use-cases in educational scenarios.
- preconfigured for easy installation (standalone, as well as network-wide rollout).
- easy to use, maintain, and administer.
supporting your language natively.
- Classify and package all free software related to education.
- Write documentation to describe how to use the various softwares (in an educational context).
- International availability, currently being translated into XX languages.
Homepage vs. Wiki
http://www.slx.no is the Homepage of Debian Edu, it's task is to represent Debian Edu.
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu is the Wiki of Debian Edu, it's task is to assist active users and developers.
Consider running a test installation with virtual machines.
A list of tested hardware is available. Please update it with the computers you have available.
- Start using your new system!
- Remember, that Debian Edu is 99,9% Debian, so almost all help for using Debian also applies to Debian Edu.
Thorough books covering multiple topics
Shorter articles covering a specific topic or problem
Overview of software available in Skolelinux
Debian's support pages
Please try to learn more about Debian Edu first.
- Use the search function of this wiki!
- If you don't find usable information and solutions for your problem, talk to us. See below!
Frequently asked questions
Frequently asked questions – with answers :-)
How to get in touch with the voluntary community, and how to proceed in order to get answers to your questions
Talk to us and participate
ML - mailing lists
The coordination of this project happens on the debian-edu mailing list.
Further /MailingLists deal with user support, translation, and other issues.
GMANE provides gateways to them as well.
IRC - internet relay chat
- Our meetings:
development ldap user admin tool
Preparing the next IRC meeting
Contribute - Help us to improve!
Everyone can help
- You can help in many ways:
Tasks for Debian Developers
- You can help in many ways:
package and maintain the software listed in /ToPackage
package and maintain any software listed in Ofset that is not yet in Debian
- sponsor non-Debian developers who are packaging education related software
integrate existing external packages into Debian; see /ToIntegrate
help with DebianInstaller to produce an even friendlier installer for people with limited computer-skills
Reports, presentations experiences
Independent reports about or relevant to Skolelinux
Presentations held by the Skolelinux team
Problems, solutions and success stories from users of Skolelinux
Here you can find a complete list of packages which are included by the Debian Edu metapackages; feel free to propose changes (to this as well as to the metapackages) on the mailing list.
For an easy installation of the education-related software, there are some metapackages for DebianEdu.
see packages : education-tasks (all education-*packages)
If you are a developer you might be interested to fix some bugs. Have a look at the bugs of related packages.
Debian Edu Wiki
- We try to put all useful information (or at least links to it) into these pages.
- You can also edit everything or place comments on any page; this is a wiki! (You may have to login first.)
Any change in the Debian Edu section of the wiki will be noticed by the Debian Edu team.
- View existing bugreports and feature requests; or create new ones.
- Become informed about alternatives to 'standard' commercial software and using linux.
We have a 2 page flyer availible in over a dozen languages (as PDF and for OOo), including: