Status of Debian Edu "Stretch"
(development started end of March 2016)
Released at the Debian 9 Stretch release date (June 17 2017)
See the release announcement
Please don't use 'desktop=kde' if LTSP is intended to be used, use a leightweight desktop environment like LXDE, Xfce or MATE instead; see the related manual chapter for instructions how to edit the kernel command line to achieve it.
- There are two images available (size: 647 MiB resp. 5.45 GiB):
debian-edu-9+edu0-CD.iso (Use this ISO if also LTSP is intended to be used.)
rsync -v --progress ftp.skolelinux.org::skolelinux-cd/debian-edu-9+edu0-CD.iso ./debian-edu-9+edu0-CD.iso
rsync -v --progress ftp.skolelinux.org::skolelinux-cd/debian-edu-9+edu0-USB.iso ./debian-edu-9+edu0-USB.iso
If you prefer to use official Debian installation media, the Debian Stretch mini.iso could be used:
Add modules=debian-edu-install-udeb and desktop=kde (or lxde, xfce, mate, gnome) as additional kernel params; also, if profile 'LTSP server' is wanted, add ltsp-client-builder/use_cdrom=false and use desktop=lxde. If running a dedicated apt caching proxy, you can add ltsp-client-builder/build-client-opts="--http-proxy=http://<IP>:<port>" as well.
This page is our main overview/tracker for the status of Debian Edu Stretch, in addition to this we have a list of all bugs user-tagged "debian-edu".
SoftWaves theme based d-e artwork (below is the installer logo).
Known problems we want to fix
(Quite definitly we must fix these first in Buster and then maybe port this fixes to Stretch.)
[Fixed in Buster] Fix personal web pages configuration; see 866228. As a workaround run these commands on the main server:
rm /etc/apache2/mods-available/userdir.load cp /etc/apache2/mods-available/status.load /etc/apache2/mods-available/userdir.load sed -i 's/status/userdir/g' /etc/apache2/mods-available/userdir.load ln -s /etc/apache2/mods-available/userdir.load /etc/apache2/mods-available/debian-edu-userdir.load a2enmod debian-edu-userdir
[Fixed in Buster] Adjust the Samba configuration file to be able to join recent clients to the SKOLELINUX domain out-of-the-box; see 864663. As a workaround add this line to /etc/samba/smb-debian-edu.conf:
server max protocol = NT1
- Fix KDE favorites configuration.
MATE is only translated (63%) to Nynorsk
finish the SVN2Git Migration Status
The usbstick ISO image should allow installations including the 'LTSP server' profile without internet connection; atm about 300 MiB need to be downloaded. This happens right after the base system has been installed successfully in the LTSP chroot, later in the process packages are fetched again from the mounted image. For a workaround, see: https://lists.debian.org/debian-edu/2017/10/msg00104.html
Our documentation could further be improved: eg by proof-reading and improving language+grammar used, by updating outdated entries, etc
Known problems we want to fix for Buster
Fixed + done (related packages migrated to stretch or unstable)
BD ISO image: It's impossible to open drop down lists, use right clicking for context menus, open menus (firefox, chromium, konqueror). The reason: education-desktop-kde now needs to depend on kwin-x11 in addition; see 859377. After running 'apt install kwin-x11' things should work like expected.
Both thin and diskless LTSP clients fail to start atm. This is caused by a new upstream release of nbd server/client; see 846998 [fixed in unstable, unblocked, about to migrate April 2nd]. Until the fixed nbd-client package is available this workaround could be used:
sed -i s#/opt/ltsp/i386#opt/ltsp/i386# /etc/nbd-server/conf.d/ltsp_i386.conf service nbd-server restart
GOsa²: broken mass import of user data via CSV file; see 847571.
LTSP chroot installation is broken if the usbstick ISO image is used; see 854203. (Fixed in unstable.)
If the kernel command line includes desktop=kde (which is the default), MATE shows up as default DE; see 854519. (Fixed in unstable.)
GOsa² sudo Role plugin doesn't allow to add a system with FQDN (834065); upgrading from Jessie requires such action, otherwise a plain LDAP editor must be used.
The script 'sitesummary2ldapdhcp' fails due to changed output of 'ifconfig'; see 846847.
- Installations fails due to debian-edu-artwork packages conflicting with plymouth; fixed in unstable. Workaround possible in d-i environment: remove /etc/plymouth/plymouthd.conf at the right time when packages are configured. This can be achieved by adding this to the kernel command-line:
(press <TAB> in the boot menu, then type the above, followed by <RETURN>)
The priority value for mate-session is too low (compared to KDE Plasma): see 845997.
- Add translations for menu entries (MATE, Xfce).
- pxe installation: fails due to kernel mismatch, but works after adapting d-e-pxeinstall to wget the daily d-i netboot images.
GOsa² netgroups plugin fails to add a system to a netgroup (throws an error); this is most probably caused by the PHP 7.0 transition. If a system is added manually using an LDAP editor, login succeeds on a workstation (839860). See the bug report for a possible fix.
- squid isn't working reliably, fix needed after first boot.
- LTSP chroot installations fails: [both issues fixed via workarounds in d-e-c 1.916]
ltsp-build-client apt-keys option fails; see 839165. (Will be fixed in debian-edu-config 1.913)
ATM an installation ends up in a broken system; the edu task description file is completely wrong now that the 'blend-gen-control' script has been changed; see: 834719. Using the old style tasks file (in debian-edu-expert mode inside Debian-Installer) allows one to get a system with the chosen profiles installed; see 835528 for a blends-dev patch.
- LDAP bootstrap: sudo-ldap needs FQDN, otherwise some GOsa² actions fail.
- ldap-debian-edu-install: systemctl start/stop call must be replaced with service ones for some daemons, otherwise Samba and Kerberos setup fails.
network interfaces: eth0 -> enp0s3, eth1 -> enp0s8 (VirtualBox environment), see: https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd /PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames/ for more general information and how to disable this change. [added kernel param net.ifnames=0 to get back old device names]. Added forgotten type 'string' (preseed file).
- cfengine run is broken due to forgotten removal of one line (ldap2zone) in /etc/cfengine/debian-edu/cfengine.conf.
- sddm: by default, all users (icons) are shown (after fixing network and autofs); default theme breeze can't be configured to show a username field. [replaced with lightdm]
- isc-dhcp-server: fails to work, variable INTERFACES in /etc/default/isc-dhcp-server has been split into INTERFACESv4 and INTERFACESv6 (cf).
- tftp-server: as atftpd isn't available in stretch atm, tftpd-hpa has been installed; disabling option --secure (/etc/default/tftpd-hpa) lets the daemon work (cf).
- LTSP generates squashfs image file automatically, this takes ages and needs a lot of disk space. A file like ../ltsp-build-client/Debian-custom/001-disable-squashfs-image containing one line: SQUASHFS_IMAGE="False" will prevent it.
LTSP: both thin and diskless clients fail to start (kernel panic), seems to be due to 786925. (LTSP default is NBD in stretch, Debian Edu uses NFS.) Update: after generating the NBD image file (and using it), both LTSP client types work like expected. Generation takes a long time (3.6 GiB size for MATE DE, 3.9 GiB for default PLASMA DE).
mirror redirector: http.debian.net -> httpredir.debian.org
sitesummary prerm script is rc buggy 823688.
default browser: iceweasel -> firefox(-esr)
squid renaming: squid3 -> squid
- autofs: disabling on main server fails, maybe use 'systemctl disable autofs' instead (cf)
- d-e-c/032-edu-pkgs: non-existing packages readahead and readahead-fedora should be dropped from purge list to enable LTSP chroot installation.
- display manager: kdm is gone; after a default combi server installation sddm (w/ MATE as default session) shows up but doesn't allow login (no username field). [kdm replaced with lightdm]
- several packages need fixes to work with PHP 7.0:
- LTSP chroot installation will fail atm w/o manual changes in d-i environment.
gosa.conf: the version shipped with d-e-c 1.819 is broken, see 820551. If you want to test GOsa², you have to:
- fix the file /etc/gosa/gosa.conf manually (see bug report for a patch)
- remove /etc/gosa/gosa.secrets
- execute 'gosa-encrypt-passwords'
- execute 'service apache2 reload'
Done in the manual
- plymouth and plymouth-theme is now installed by default (except for the 'Main Server' and 'Minimal' profiles).
- The BD ISO image doesn't allow standalone installations with profile 'LTSP server' included, internet connection is needed.
- KDE Plasma is kept as default desktop. We need to make sure to explain this well and to recommend LXDE for LTSP.
- LTSP now uses NBD instead of NFS for the root filesystem. After each single change to an LTSP chroot, the related NBD image must be regenerated for the changes to take effect. It might be good to install only one DE in the chroot to keep the image size below 4 GiB.
- Oldest supported x86 processors are 686-class ones (only a few 586/686 hybrid processors too). This might affect old LTSP clients.
- Icinga is now used as monitoring tool.
- ksnapshot has been replaced with kde-spectacle as screenshot tool.
The 32-bit PC support (known as the Debian architecture i386) now no longer covers a plain i586 processor. The new baseline is the i686, although some i586 processors (e.g. the "AMD Geode") will remain supported. See https://www.debian.org/releases/stretch/i386/release-notes/ch-whats-new.en.html for more info.
- Upon upgrade from Jessie the LDAP data base has to be adjusted. The sudoHost value 'tjener' has to be replaced with 'tjener.intern' using GOsa² or an LDAP editor.
- Concurrent logins of the same user on a terminalserver and an LTSP thin client are no longer allowed.
- Debian 9 enables unattended upgrades by default for new installations. This might cause a delay of about 15 minutes if a system with a low uptime value is powered off.
The NFS->NBD change should be documented on the "New Features" page too…