Link to usertagged bugs.
add gdm3 artwork issue
|Deletions are marked like this.||Additions are marked like this.|
|Line 14:||Line 14:|
|* debian-edu-artwork: background of gdm3 login screen is not the Debian Edu one.|
Status of Debian Edu "Jessie"
Most resources moved to git, see SVN2Git Migration Status page
As the local repo is gone for now and all packages are in Debian proper, use the 'nolocal' ISO image for test installations: ftp://ftp.skolelinux.no/cd-edu-testing-nolocal-netinst/debian-edu-amd64-i386-NETINST-1.iso
Changes from Wheezy to Jessie
- Shutdown/reboot of the main server takes longer due to a default setting in squid3 (shutdown_lifetime 30 seconds).
Known problems we want to fix
- debian-edu-artwork: background of gdm3 login screen is not the Debian Edu one.
Usability issue: The default browser Iceweasel fail to show files with MIME types text/* (like for example diffs or source code) in the browser, and instead pop up a dialog only offering to save the file or pass it on to an external program (600266). This make it hard for users to look at fairly normal text documents. Chromium show text/* files in the browser.
Usability issue: the KDE file manager fail to play Ogg Theora videos recorded by gtk-recordmydesktop because file report mime type "application/ogg" instead of "video/ogg" (762561). Video players like vlc (762564) and gnome-mplayer (762565) should be updated to list video/ogg as a supported MIME type. The dragonplayer package already support video/ogg.
exim4-config some times fail to install, reporting "Failed to acquire random data (762103).
LTSP diskless workstations: The Kerberos TGT is valid for 10 hours as it should be. Clicking the key symbol, the krb5-dialog lacks the username; the realm is OK, though (762906).
Rosegarden is no longer installed. It was removed from the music task as a workaround for a bug in lilypond (758787). When lilypond build on powerpc and mips (760794), rosegarden can be reinserted in the task.
Kerberos/LDAP startup with systemd is unreliable (758992)
Grub ask users to enter /dev/ path to hard drive on a single hard drive machine (712907)
- Local user on roaming workstation (and probably other profiles) do not have working USB plug and play. Inserting USB memory stick is not discovered in KDE. Petter suspect missing plugdev group membership or some missing policykit setup is the cause. [No problem in virtualbox vm with USB key (profile main-server with desktop xfce or KDE): the plugdev is discovered and usable.]
The command 'net time' causes a segmentation fault (760781).
- The cups management site 'www:631' doesn't work any longer. Remote printer management should be documented.
- debian-edu-doc.git: the jessie manual is missing.
The URL http://wpad/wpad.dat is not understood by apache and give a 404 error. It should hand out /etc/debian-edu/www/wpad.dat instead.
Gosa allow admins to add invalid DNS names in the web interface, and the LDAP to DNS export script gladly pass them on to bind (710362), which break and take down the entire installation when the LDAP server is unknown in DNS.
Known problems, unlikely to be fixed
Fixed in git
debian-edu-doc.git: scripts/get_manual is broken, probably due to wiki (show content in raw/docbook layout) changes (762025).
Fixed in unstable (related packages accepted in unstable)
- On LTSP diskless workstations the homedir isn't mounted. This is caused by automounter running and blocking /skole as mountpoint for sshfs. As a workaround (to be able to test things) set RM_SYSTEM_SERVICES=autofs in /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/lts.conf.
Automatic proxy configuration fail because WPAD is ignored by the proxy command (644373)
Fixed + done (related packages migrated to jessie)
Started on Jessie manual, https://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Documentation/Jessie
- www/sitesummary doesn't work
- Unable to find /usr/bin/rpcinfo
- pxeinstall: Unable to find PXE file /var/lib/tftpboot/pxelinux.0
Using virtual box Jessie installation is broken because hw-setup call discover-pkginstall, which hangs (760144).
- Samba/LDAP setup fails due to a failure reading SAMBASID during bootstrap.
- krb5kdc is not running.
- kadmind is not running.
- Kerberos service is not listening on kerberos/udp.
- Kerberos service is not listening on kpasswd/tcp.
- Kerberos service is not listening on kerberos-adm/tcp.
- getent failed to find file group 'students'.
- samba: missing Domain Admins in samba groupmap.
- webcache: squid is not running.
Installation of desktops fail because of a postinst bug in lilypond-doc (758787), triggered by lilypond-doc being recommended by lilypond (653263), a dependency of rosegarden, but the fix fail to propagate to testing because of build failures on powerpc and mips (760794).
- Installing using desktop=lxde or xfce end up without any display manager enabled, thanks to preseeding shared/default-x-display-manager to kdm while lightdm is installed.
Automatic partitioning fail when reinstalling, because partman refuses to "reuse" swap partition in LVM (757818)
- ldap-client: Not only one PAM module of krb5, ldap and sss is enabled
- pxeinstall is broken due to a typo in debian-edu-pxeinstall.
Mostly stuff for Jessie (the release after Wheezy)
- make it easier to use another, already existing, directory server, be it LDAP or AD.
- Include FAI to easily install customized machines (Skolelinux RLP and Musterösung BW use Images (why?), can we do something comparable with FAI?
- Make the installer more flexible. Make it possible to choose KDE/GNOME/all educational packages/Debian default. (Waiting several hours installing Tjener+LTSP seems to scare away testers and developers).
- Continue cleanup. What is left back in our d-e-packages that's not needed anymore? Strip down things to the necessary, we are not able to maintain more. What can and should be addressed in Debian?
- Preconfigured LXDE by default as Thin-Client?
- Preconfigured educational desktop (if chosen in the installer).
- Make it possible to choose LTSP chroot arch (i386/amd64)