update iceweasel/firefox issue.
update firefox issue (proxy type).
|Deletions are marked like this.||Additions are marked like this.|
|Line 26:||Line 26:|
|* With the re-rename of Iceweasel to Firefox in Jessie, the setting of the Iceweasel default homepage and the feature to configure this URL in LDAP is gone (DebianBug:827448). As a workaround this script might be used (on tjener) until a proper fix is available:||* With the re-rename of Iceweasel to Firefox in Jessie, the setting of the Iceweasel default homepage, the feature to configure this URL in LDAP and the setting of the proxy type are gone (DebianBug:827448). As a workaround this script might be used (on tjener) until a proper fix is available:|
See also the release notes.
For current development, see Status/Stretch.
Status of Debian Edu "Jessie"
- As the local repo is gone for now and all packages are in Debian proper, use one of these two images:
Changes from Wheezy to Jessie
Known problems we must fix
Known problems we ought to fix but which can be worked around easily
Mounting of homedirs fails randomly. This is probably due to buggy nscd netgroup caching (791562). As a workaround disable netgroup caching (on tjener) in /etc/nscd.conf and remove /var/cache/nscd/netgroup. Run 'debian-edu-nscd-netgroup-cache disable' as root to achieve this.
On workstations the automatic setup of remote printers (configured on tjener) fails (see discussion in 791995). To get it working, install the package libnss-mdns on tjener and on the workstation(s). If LTSP is used, install the package in the LTSP chroot as well.
With the re-rename of Iceweasel to Firefox in Jessie, the setting of the Iceweasel default homepage, the feature to configure this URL in LDAP and the setting of the proxy type are gone (827448). As a workaround this script might be used (on tjener) until a proper fix is available:
!#!/bin/sh # # migrate iceweasel customization to firefox-esr. # the cert_override.txt file is already located in the right place # (directory /etc/skel on tjener) to work ok, so is skipped here. # proxy settings are pulled via wpad and/or /etc/environment. set -e # check if host has networked profile; and yes, it's 'iceweacel-networked-prefs.js' # by intention, the file is shipped like this since years, I guess. if [ -e /etc/iceweasel/pref/debian-edu-networked.js ] && [ ! -e /etc/firefox-esr/debian-edu-networked.js ]; then ln -s /usr/share/debian-edu-config/iceweacel-networked-prefs.js /etc/firefox-esr/debian-edu-networked.js sed -i 's#iceweasel/pref#firefox-esr#' /usr/share/debian-edu-config/tools/update-iceweasel-homepage /etc/init.d/iceweasel-ldapconf force-reload if [ -d /opt/ltsp ] ; then for ltsp_chroot in `find /opt/ltsp/ -mindepth 1 -maxdepth 1 -type d`; do chroot $ltsp_chroot ln -s /usr/share/debian-edu-config/iceweacel-networked-prefs.js /etc/firefox-esr/debian-edu-networked.js chroot $ltsp_chroot sed -i 's#iceweasel/pref#firefox-esr#' /usr/share/debian-edu-config/tools/update-iceweasel-homepage chroot $ltsp_chroot /etc/init.d/iceweasel-ldapconf force-reload done fi fi
Known problems, we would like to fix
- Upgrade from wheezy should be made easier (related fixes have been committed to d-e-config branch 'upgrade-tmp'):
It takes up to 15 minutes for an updated system hostname to take effect (780461).
The hostname script fails to update LTSP server hostname (783087).
Fixed in git, needs upload to jessie-proposed-updates
shutdown-at-night fails to shut the system down if gdm is used. This is caused by gdm now running a special gnome-session as greeter (and no longer gdm-simple-greeter). Using xlsclient to tell a greeter gnome-session from a normal gnome-session seems to be impossible. (787566).
Known problems, unlikely to be fixed for jessie
Installations done using the two available images differ in installed packages - though it's not sure whether this is fixable or by design.
- slbackup-php: It is not possible to log into the web service using the root password. This is caused by the new sshd configuration: root access with password is now disabled by default. A workaround has been documented in the manual how to get the gui working temporarily.
The command 'net time' causes a segmentation fault (760781) [fixed in samba-common-bin/4.1.17+dfsg-4 (testing)].
Reported problems, not/no longer reproducible
- The source image is 16gb in size. That's probably 12gb too big. We can ignore this as currently all packages are in Jessie proper.
Fixed in unstable (related packages accepted in unstable)
- currently none.
Fixed + done (related packages migrated to jessie)
The subnet-change script doesn't adjust (the migrated) squid.conf (800654).
Automatic filesystem resizing fails cause /proc/mounts contains /dev/dm-X devices for / (and /usr if on a separate partion). See 800651 for a patch.
With gosa version 2.7.4+reloaded2-1+deb8u1 an annoying message pops up each time when logging into the GOsa² web gui because the default non Debian Edu configuration file has been changed (794189). To avoid this the first line of /etc/gosa/gosa.conf must be changed to be like this: <conf configVersion="3dcfa28818766382948647a15bcbcbbc">. (<conf configVersion=""> would work as well.)
The build-client-opts preseeding in defaults.thin-client-server breaks PXE installs including profile thin-client-server (781515). Fixes addressing this issue have been committed to d-e-config branch 'ltsp-related' and to d-e-install.
- After upgrade from wheezy squid should be migrated to squid3 (related fixes have been committed to d-e-config branch 'squid-related'):
- Add share/debian-edu-config/tools/migrate-squid-to-squid3.
Adjust cf/cf.squid to run this script (779649).
Unblock request needed for debian-installer-netboot-images to fix PXE installs (782267).
Setting up the LTSP chroot fails, if the netinst or usbstick ISO files are used to set up a combined server in a virtualbox environment (780591). Installation on real hardware using a USB stick (with BD ISO image) works.
debian-edu-pxeinstall has to be adjusted to work with debian-installer-8-netboot-* (776763).
The kdm login no longer seem to run the scripts in /etc/X11/Xsession.d/, causing robustness fixes to not be applied in the default setup. This for example causes ~/.xsession-errors to fill up the user disk, no sensible explainatin to show up when the home directory is missing, our desktup-profiles menues (educational overrides) to not take effect, and possibly no ssh-agent to be running. [It seems to be that the scripts in Xsession.d are run, but 09debian-edu-missing-home doesn't work due to changed kdm behaviour (774392).]
The first user created in LDAP can log in, but the second and third can not. Changing "Password Storage" for these in GOSA from default ssha to sha and re-assigning a password helped. See mailing list. [Most probably due to 'dbnosync' set to true in slapd.conf. This should have been fixed at the time the issue was reported, but the fix had been applied to the wrong file in git (slapd-debian-edu.conf instead of slapd-squeeze_debian-edu.conf) (774610).]
- d-e-config 1.816 which contains these changes has been uploaded to unstable and unblocked, waiting for migration to jessie
Workstations are not able to NFS mount home0 from the tjener, even if they are in the workstation-hosts netgroup granting access (772342). This is most probably caused by nslcd not daemonizing reliably (759544), which seems to have been due to 755039 (fix is in jessie) in network-manager causing long times (up to about 30 seconds) to raise the network interface. 622394 and 771943 might play a role as well.
New systems don't get the hostname configured in GOsa². This is caused by Network-Manager using a wrong (hardcoded) 'arping' path (755039). As a workaround execute 'update-hostname-from-ip' on the new system.
- *needs confirmation*: the fixed network-manager package has arrived in jessie, so this should be fixed. is it? Yes.
PXE installation ask for mirror, while it should use the same mirror as the server used when it was installed. (770302)
slbackup-php: a configuration file is missing. The default backup server should be 'backup', not 'localhost' (769806).
Workstations (and probably other profiles) have a race condition where autofs starts before the eth0 interface is up. the syslog confirm that dhclient completes after autofs/automount complain in the log that it is unable to reach the LDAP server. This causes user home directories to be unavailable after boot. 769443 Is this systemd related? It seems to have been a problem in the past as well, see: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/autofs5/+bug/733914 Maybe network performance plays a role, too. See https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=710490 Workaround in debian-edu-config implemented (dhclient hook sript).
- Shutdown/reboot of the main server takes longer due to a default setting in squid3 (shutdown_lifetime 30 seconds). [documented in manual]
LTSP no longer installs. Probably due to 765738 affecting i386.
- debian-edu-artwork: background of gdm3 login screen is not the Debian Edu one.
- The cups management site 'www:631' doesn't work any longer. Remote printer management should be documented. [this issue is gone with cups 1.7.5-7 dropping socket-activation.]
- debian-edu-doc.git: the jessie manual is missing.
Automatic proxy configuration fail because WPAD is ignored by the proxy command (644373)
Started on Jessie manual, https://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Documentation/Jessie
- www/sitesummary doesn't work
- Unable to find /usr/bin/rpcinfo
- pxeinstall: Unable to find PXE file /var/lib/tftpboot/pxelinux.0
- Samba/LDAP setup fails due to a failure reading SAMBASID during bootstrap.
- krb5kdc is not running.
- kadmind is not running.
- Kerberos service is not listening on kerberos/udp.
- Kerberos service is not listening on kpasswd/tcp.
- Kerberos service is not listening on kerberos-adm/tcp.
- getent failed to find file group 'students'.
- samba: missing Domain Admins in samba groupmap.
- webcache: squid is not running.
- ldap-client: Not only one PAM module of krb5, ldap and sss is enabled
- pxeinstall is broken due to a typo in debian-edu-pxeinstall.
Mostly stuff for Stretch (the release after Jessie)
- make it easier to use another, already existing, directory server, be it LDAP or AD.
- Preconfigured LXDE by default as Thin-Client?
- Preconfigured educational desktop (if chosen in the installer).
- Make it possible to choose LTSP chroot arch (i386/amd64)