update installation instructions; cfengine3 seems to work like expected.
|Deletions are marked like this.||Additions are marked like this.|
|Line 19:||Line 19:|
|* To test LTSP server / client system choose the default profiles (combi server) and install the LTSP chroot after rebooting the main server running 'debian-edu-ltsp -arch i386'.||* To test LTSP server / client system choose the default profiles (combi server) and install the LTSP chroot after rebooting the main server running 'debian-edu-ltsp --arch i386'.|
Status of Debian Edu "Buster"
(development started in July 2017)
This page is our main overview/tracker for the status of Debian Edu Buster, in addition to this we have a list of all bugs user-tagged "debian-edu".
A Debian Edu ISO isn't yet available; use the daily Debian Installer mini ISO; please note that an installation fails sometimes (kernel modules not availabe / problem with libc6-udeb); just try it a few days later, and always use the recent mini.iso:
Add 'modules=debian-edu-install-udeb' as additional kernel param. If you want to have also a desktop environment, add desktop=xfce (or mate, gnome, kde) in addition. LXDE seems to be broken atm, maybe due to a LXDE -> LXQt transition.
- Even if deselected, the LTSP installation step is reported as 'failed'; investigation needed. To proceed:
- LTSP (skip; continue w/ grub item),
- Grub (select device, most probably the highlighted one),
- Debian Edu Profile (enforce menu order) (skip; proceed w/ finish install). If accidently this menus item is chosen, the installation will end up broken.
- To test LTSP server / client system choose the default profiles (combi server) and install the LTSP chroot after rebooting the main server running 'debian-edu-ltsp --arch i386'.
Known problems we want to fix
- The added LXQt desktop environment lacks education menu integration.
- The added metapackages (video, primaryschool) are missing education menu integration.
- The desktop profiles concept (kiosk) seems to be outdated since years.
- The favorites configuration (most DEs?) needs love.
MATE is only translated (63%) to Nynorsk
finish the SVN2Git Migration Status
Our documentation could further be improved: eg by proof-reading and improving language+grammar used, by updating outdated entries, etc
Known problems we want to fix for Buster
Fixed in Git
- The usbstick ISO image should allow installations including the 'LTSP server' profile without internet connection; atm about 300 MiB need to be downloaded. This happens right after the base system has been installed successfully in the LTSP chroot, later in the process packages are fetched again from the mounted image. [Reason was that the first part (when the 'debian-edu-install' package gets installed) has been moved to LTSP client build stage 'install)' where the CDROM and required mounts are not yet available. Moving this part to 'after-install)' (or all parts to 'finalization)' like it has been before commit 57a5c24f) allows to use '/media/cdrom' throughout. Also, '-o acquire::check-valid-until=0' needs to be added to APT_GET_OPTS to be really able to use '/media/cdrom' als local file type repo.]
Fixed + done (related packages migrated to buster or unstable)
Fix personal web pages configuration; see 866228. As a workaround run these commands on the main server:
rm /etc/apache2/mods-available/userdir.load cp /etc/apache2/mods-available/status.load /etc/apache2/mods-available/userdir.load sed -i 's/status/userdir/g' /etc/apache2/mods-available/userdir.load ln -s /etc/apache2/mods-available/userdir.load /etc/apache2/mods-available/debian-edu-userdir.load a2enmod debian-edu-userdir
adjust the Samba configuration file to be able to join recent clients to the SKOLELINUX domain out-of-the-box; see 864663.
Done in the manual
- nothing yet