- Status of Debian Edu 12 (bookworm)
- Known problems that need to be fixed
- Known problems that can be fixed locally
- Known problems that need to be fixed elsewhere
- Known problems we want to fix for the next release
- Fixed and done
Status of Debian Edu 12 (bookworm)
(development started in August 2021)
DebianEdu 12 has not been officially released yet
This page is our main overview/tracker for the status of Debian Edu Bookworm. In addition to this we have a list of all bugs user-tagged "debian-edu".
Instead of the default xfce desktop environment, mate, gnome, lxde, lxqt, cinnamon or kde can be used by editing the kernel desktop parameter (default: desktop=xfce).
- Dropping the modules= and desktop= items from the kernel command line completely allows one to use all ISO images for stock Debian installations.
See the Bookworm manual installation chapter how to edit kernel command line parameters.
Debian Edu ISOs for 64-bit and very old 32-bit PCs (both AMD and Intel processors) are available from the usual Debian places.
Avoid using i386 for systems with Workstation profile; see 1037301 (also concerning the docs).
Download using HTTPS
The -edu- netinst iso image can be used for installation from CD/DVD and USB flash drives and is available for two Debian architectures: amd64 (64-bit) or i386 (32-bit). As the name implies, Internet access is required for the installation.
The -edu- BD images are 7.5 GB (amd64) / 6.0 GB (i386) large and can be used for installation of amd64 or i386 machines, also without access to the Internet. Like the netinst image it can be installed on USB flash drives or disk media of sufficient size.
Verify the downloaded image file
Detailed instructions for verifying these images are part of the Debian-CD FAQ.
Known problems that need to be fixed
update main server upgrade process in https://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Documentation/Bookworm/Upgrades
SMB authentication on tjener does not work (1052245)
Known problems that can be fixed locally
Known problems that need to be fixed elsewhere
isc-dhcp-server-ldap: fails to activate the service, see 971275.
X2Go doesn't register users with utmp/wtmp, see 890517.
ldapvi sorts entries alphabetically which can break specific modifications where the order of the definitions is important, see 820790.
Known problems we want to fix for the next release
Retire the killer package
Fixed and done
Accessing the GOsa² web interface is broken due to a serious gosa bug, see 1003694.
libpam-python: porting to python3 needed, see 937234.
debian-edu-ltsp-install: Netboot image exposes private data and crypto keys, see 993935.
- With Berkely database removal from Debian as intended release goal, move from LDAP BDB database to the default MDB one.
Rework Icinga administration (via GUI): Add an LDAP group icinga-admins and use it to configure Icinga.
- make sure gosa 2.8 is integrated properly: atm at least adding users (fatal error due to missing file) and systems (missing checkboxes to enable DNS and DHCP, gosa script failure) isn't possible, also lots of deprecation warnings are tainting the GUI)
Once done, update the screenshots in https://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Documentation/Bookworm/GettingStarted (new default design)
- make sure the Icinga web interface is configured correctly: atm unusable due to missing backend configuration
update diskspace requirements for new installs in https://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Documentation/Bookworm/Requirements
- Basically, the manual is still a copy of the bullseye one, check if more things need to be updated.
- update src:d-e-artwork to include the Emerald theme
Once done, update the Debian Edu installer logo and syslinux splash image (https://salsa.debian.org/images-team/debian-cd) and the logo on this page.
- check and update firmware handling after d-i (apt-setup) and apt (sources.list) related changes
update the screenshots in https://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Documentation/Bookworm/Installation#Screenshot_tour once debian-cd includes the new artwork
make sure network configuration works after ifupdown changes (Ship Ubuntu's integration scripts for systemd-resolved, see 1016798): on systems with Main-Server and Main-Server, Workstation profiles, resolving internal names is broken due to an empty resolv.conf file; see 1055647 (fixed in testing).
setting/changing passwords as admin does not work in gosa² (1052159)
workaround: use ldap-createuser-krb5