Time in UTC

nick

message

19:05:46

< MeetBot>

Meeting started Wed Jul 1 19:05:46 2009 UTC. The chair is sepski.

19:05:46

< MeetBot>

Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot , Useful Commands: #action #agreed #halp #info #idea #link #topic.

19:06:07

* danielsan

= Daniel Hess

19:06:10

< sepski>

#topic Meeting in progress agenda at #startmeeting state your name with /me = for the log

19:06:11

-!- Irssi:

Topic: -: free software system for schools | http://wiki.debian.org/Teams/DebianEdu | Next irc meeting: Wednesday, 2009-07-01: 1900 UTC / 2100 CEST | Agenda: http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Meeting | http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Status/Etch is 3.0r1 "Terra" and stable | development: http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Status/Lenny

19:06:11

-!- Irssi:

Topic: +: Meeting in progress agenda at #startmeeting state your name with /me = for the log

19:06:11

-!- MeetBot

changed the topic of #debian-edu to: Meeting in progress agenda at #startmeeting state your name with /me = for the log

19:06:16

* sepski

= Ronny Aasen

19:06:37

< sepski>

#topic Meeting in progress agenda at http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Meeting | state your name with /me = for the log

19:06:37

-!- Irssi:

Topic: -: Meeting in progress agenda at #startmeeting state your name with /me = for the log

19:06:37

-!- Irssi:

Topic: +: Meeting in progress agenda at http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Meeting | state your name with /me = for the log

19:06:37

-!- MeetBot

changed the topic of #debian-edu to: Meeting in progress agenda at http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Meeting | state your name with /me = for the log

19:07:16

* pere

= Petter Reinholdtsen

19:07:29

* pere

is a bit on and off at the moment, packing to go north.

19:07:41

< sepski>

j4v4m4n_ arntog foka d0rt snorre itais jever patrick-willam xoswald dinoex alfton klausade FBI schasi Werner Tolimar bahner_ C14r law proyvind zobel sturles k4x lazyb0y bittin white MeetBot AndrewLee sep winnie OleA h01ger : meeting starts now. please attend if possible.

19:08:01

* j4v4m4n_

= Praveen Arimbrathodiyil

19:08:07

< sepski>

:

19:08:13

< sepski>

:)

19:08:21

* klausade

= klaus ade johnstad

19:08:50

* j4v4m4n_

hanging out to make a custom profile for schools in India

19:09:28

< klausade>

no meeting reminder on email this time?

19:10:03

< sepski>

guess. not. i didn't remember it myself even before my alarm went of 15 mins ago .

19:10:30

< arntog>

arntog = Arnt Ove Gregersen

19:10:44

* jever

= J├╝rgen Leibner

19:11:24

< sepski>

#topic Meeting in progress agenda at http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Meeting | volunteer needed for summary writing.

19:11:24

-!- Irssi:

Topic: -: state your name with /me = for the log

19:11:24

-!- Irssi:

Topic: +: volunteer needed for summary writing.

19:11:24

-!- MeetBot

changed the topic of #debian-edu to: Meeting in progress agenda at http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Meeting | volunteer needed for summary writing.

19:12:08

< sepski>

anyone ?

19:13:10

< sepski>

keep in mind it does not need to be a huge essay. just the highlights and refer to the log.

19:13:15

* danielsan

would write the summary if tomorrow evening is early enough

19:13:28

< sepski>

danielsan, thank you. more then enough.

19:14:03

< sepski>

#agreed danielsan writes the summary

19:14:27

< sepski>

#topic Meeting in progress agenda at http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Meeting | 2: Lenny status http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Status/Lenny

19:14:27

-!- Irssi:

Topic: -: volunteer needed for summary writing.

19:14:27

-!- Irssi:

Topic: +: 2: Lenny status http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Status/Lenny

19:14:27

-!- MeetBot

changed the topic of #debian-edu to: Meeting in progress agenda at http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Meeting | 2: Lenny status http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Status/Lenny

19:14:32

< sepski>

#url http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Status/Lenny

19:15:10

* pere

tested barebone installation the other day, and autopartitioning did not work.

19:15:22

< pere>

had to use manual partitioning.

19:15:33

* danielsan

did a main+workstation yesterday that was successful

19:15:37

< sepski>

personaly i have not thing else to say then last meeting. i have not had time to test any further unfortunatly. with vacation looming over my head like a damocles sword i fear i wont get much time the next month either

19:16:29

< danielsan>

I will try to update my windows vm tomorrow and if thats successful I will check the samba status

19:16:31

< pere>

did anyone look at the bugzilla report about slapd failing to start?

19:16:49

* danielsan

just did

19:16:51

< pere>

and the webcache DNS entry problem?

19:16:51

* klausade

have installed several ltsp-servers today with the netinst cd. all looks just fine. But the ltsp-server profile does not work from dvd, http://bugs.skolelinux.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1354

19:16:51

< sepski>

pere, are there a recipe for barebone ?

19:16:55

< danielsan>

works on my installation

19:17:01

< sepski>

or did you use the debian ones or picked one of the others ?

19:17:02

< pere>

sepski: I do not know. hoped there was. :)

19:17:14

< klausade>

pere: i'm installing main-profile to test that right now, the slapd thing,

19:17:30

< sepski>

pere, looks like slapd was allready running. "address in use"

19:18:33

< sepski>

#link http://bugs.skolelinux.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1354 ltsp-server profile does not work from dvd

19:18:34

< pere>

what other things are not working yet?

19:18:35

< danielsan>

and on the other bug about webchache there was an answer from the dns which gets its data from ldap too

19:19:37

< danielsan>

the dhcp hosts are still missing from dns which triggers a warning

19:20:09

< sepski>

pere, i guess it's the 97minimal recipe

19:20:50

< sepski>

pere, and it does not have a boot.. for some reason.

19:21:49

< pere>

sepski: right. that was the problem.

19:22:19

< danielsan>

sepski: do we already build our images using 5.0.2 D-I?

19:22:54

< sepski>

are 5.0.2 uploded to debian proper ?

19:22:55

< FBI>

debian-edu: sep-guest committed revision 58577 to debian-edu: * add /boot for barebone

19:22:56

< sepski>

if not then no

19:23:43

< pere>

sepski: I believe so. expert profile question looked good when I tested it.

19:23:44

< sepski>

oh it was released june27

19:23:53

< sepski>

in that case i have to check. but in theory it should

19:24:22

< danielsan>

so 1315 sould be gone

19:24:48

< sepski>

and pere have tested it even so indeed gone yes.

19:25:02

< pere>

on a related note, I was in london working on the debian and ubuntu boot system last week, and there I was told that ubuntu had dropped the graphical d-i install because of its usability issues.

19:26:33

< sepski>

we default to the ncurses one do we not ?'

19:26:40

< danielsan>

oh, they had the graphical d-i? never had seen that

19:26:57

< pere>

yes

19:27:22

< pere>

sepski: I believe our default from CD is newt, while the pxe one defaults to graphical install.

19:27:41

< pere>

we should consider changing the pxe setting.

19:27:46

< sepski>

perhaps change that one then

19:28:12

< sepski>

just do it imho.

19:28:20

< danielsan>

in etch we had graphical d-i as default

19:28:52

-!- debalance

(Philipp Huebner) [~quassel@92.117.214.99] has joined #debian-edu

19:29:05

< pere>

how bad is the graphical install?

19:29:16

* danielsan

uses it all the time

19:29:26

< danielsan>

and it's imho not worse thant text based

19:29:52

< sepski>

i never use it. since it is slower

19:30:12

* pere

do not use it in qemu, because it make it hardert to change virtual terminal.

19:30:14

< sepski>

and more tricky to get to the tty's

19:30:38

< jever>

that's why I don't use it too

19:30:48

< klausade>

me too.

19:30:59

< pere>

the nice thing about the graphical installer is the nice picture at the top. :)

19:31:14

< jever>

:)

19:31:22

< danielsan>

and it looks more friendly

19:31:38

< sepski>

this is only for the pxe installer so it's a tiny issue. dont think we'r going to change the default of the images now are we ?

19:31:40

< arntog>

but should have a been a picutre with a lot of people using debianedu, not a empty classroom with 2-3 persons

19:31:56

< pere>

anyway, if very few are testing the graphical installer, I suggest we drop it from the pxe install and reconsider on request.

19:32:15

< sepski>

it's more sane to have all installations with the same default anyway

19:33:09

< sepski>

#agreed change DI default from grafical to text for the pxe installer.

19:33:54

< sepski>

have anyone tested lwat properly ? does it do everything that is requiered to be able to admin dhcp and bind ?

19:34:49

* jever

did not

19:34:50

< klausade>

sepski: in my tests it does. but i realy havent had in full blown production anywere yet.

19:35:40

< sepski>

besides the obvious add/remove machines. i would think it needed to be able to tweak service names and SRV records. eg you need to use a muncipiality mailserver. and need to change postoffice forinstance.

19:35:54

< sepski>

or you have a dedicated proxy and need to change webcache

19:36:34

< sepski>

and what would happen on a nondefault ip range ?

19:36:51

< jever>

and mass machine imports

19:37:01

< sepski>

thatone is very important

19:37:32

< danielsan>

it does not look like you can mange srv-records

19:38:08

< danielsan>

our predefined srv for ldap, ... are added on install (by the installer), I thing thats it currently

19:38:22

< sepski>

do we have a requirement list ? and does anyone have time to 1: write one 2: test it ?

19:39:32

< danielsan>

I will mention the things said here in the summary

19:40:00

< jever>

what about an upgrade/migrating script for account data?

19:40:06

< sepski>

klausade, people admining edu installations would hopefully know what they change in their dhcp and bind configs and could help make the requirements. (on the wiki)

19:40:55

< danielsan>

jever: I'am working on a script updating user entries (for samba)

19:41:33

< danielsan>

maybe I could make it a general ldap update-script, ...

19:42:43

< sepski>

we'v spendt 30 mins on status. 15 to go. any other items on lenny status ?

19:43:12

< jever>

danielsan: fine, so would there be a part in that script, that can seperate the windows-profile-data from the user home and makes it arch-depending?

19:43:57

< danielsan>

jever: arch-depending as in win9x vs. winxp?

19:44:24

< jever>

... for not merging NTUSER.DAT's from new Windowsversions

19:44:26

< jever>

yes

19:44:26

< danielsan>

sepski: from me no

19:45:16

< sepski>

jever, does that require ldap changes ?

19:45:37

* danielsan

currently can't imagen how to do that in LDAP

19:45:48

< jever>

yes, as in correcting some entries

19:45:52

< danielsan>

I once did that with a strange samba config

19:46:15

< jever>

the example I did uses that

19:46:44

< jever>

all schools I maintained used that

19:46:49

< sepski>

think that would need to be put into the text acompanying the example since they would go together

19:47:54

< jever>

sepski: yes, but I need a hint for understanding the Makefile for that case later on

19:48:19

< sepski>

jever, we'r all here to help

19:48:40

< sepski>

#topic Meeting in progress agenda at http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Meeting | 3: debconf9 plans?

19:48:41

-!- Irssi:

Topic: -: 2: Lenny status http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Status/Lenny

19:48:41

-!- Irssi:

Topic: +: 3: debconf9 plans?

19:48:41

-!- MeetBot

changed the topic of #debian-edu to: Meeting in progress agenda at http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Meeting | 3: debconf9 plans?

19:48:42

< klausade>

pere: ldap works just fine on a main-server installed with netinst lenny-test from 28.06.09

19:48:48

< jever>

I know, but it is great luck that I have time to be here today ;-)

19:48:49

< sepski>

looks like the agenda is very unchanged from last time

19:49:55

< danielsan>

yeah

19:50:05

< sepski>

anyone have anything to say about debconf ?

19:50:11

< sepski>

if not we'll move along

19:50:41

< sepski>

#topic Meeting in progress agenda at http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Meeting | 4: other business ?

19:50:41

-!- Irssi:

Topic: -: 3: debconf9 plans?

19:50:41

-!- Irssi:

Topic: +: 4: other business ?

19:50:41

-!- MeetBot

changed the topic of #debian-edu to: Meeting in progress agenda at http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Meeting | 4: other business ?

19:51:05

< sepski>

anyone have something new or off the agenda they want to talk about.

19:51:07

* pere

is working on the boot system in debian these days.

19:51:19

< pere>

improvements for squeese.

19:51:33

< danielsan>

maybe we sould do rc-releases after checking the last bits?

19:51:38

< jever>

should bet.slx.no be removed?

19:51:55

< jever>

+a

19:52:01

< klausade>

anyone looking at http://bugs.skolelinux.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1354 ?

19:52:20

< sepski>

jever, if it's not maintained. YES !

19:52:48

< jever>

it was the testcase in feb 2008

19:53:00

< jever>

and is not used since then

19:53:21

< sepski>

klausade, i have been. but do not think i get the time to test in a while. would be nice to know if the package in questions is actualy on the dvd or not. (both the meta and the spesific version the meta point to )

19:53:32

< sepski>

jever, then i think it should be removed

19:53:49

< sepski>

old stale cruft does not inspire trust in users.

19:53:51

< jever>

and arntog is building a new site and wants to come on the server with it

19:54:30

< klausade>

anyone noticed that expert mode asks a lot more questions on lenny than on etch?

19:55:00

< klausade>

sepski: i'll find out, and add info to #1354

19:55:59

< sepski>

klausade, that is becouse i changes debconf_priority to high from critical. or else we lost important questions in the very early boot.

19:56:35

< klausade>

sepski: but what was the debconf_priority for expert mode in etch?

19:56:36

< sepski>

klausade, we can preseed them to seen if they are not important. but i feel expert mode is expert mode and we give the admin the gun to shoot himself in the foot if he so pleases

19:56:41

< sepski>

critical

19:56:54

< sepski>

but DI changes made us loose important questions if we used critical

19:57:33

< sepski>

klausade, are there questions you feel are very unnessecary in a expert install ?

19:57:45

< sepski>

then we can set those to seen

19:58:27

< klausade>

sepski: i used to solely use expert mode when i installed etch, worked fine. expert mode in lenny was more trouble that it was worth. but i'll give it another try.

19:58:58

< sepski>

klausade, what question do you need that you get in expert mode that you do not get regularly ?

19:59:19

< sepski>

i rarely need to use expert mode

20:00:36

< sepski>

klausade, test regular install and let us know if we need to change something :)

20:00:47

< sepski>

j4v4m4n_, do you want to say a few words about your project ?

20:02:30

< klausade>

sepski: i need to be able to use the "remote install using ssh" feature, that is only available in expert mode from cd.

20:02:45

< j4v4m4n_>

sepski, hi I will share some info

20:04:13

< j4v4m4n_>

we have the state of Kerala already using Free Software, a custom debian distribution in all of its schools

20:05:24

< j4v4m4n_>

now with effort of the community, the neighboring state of Karnataka is also starting its ICT@School project with GNU/Linux

20:06:16

< j4v4m4n_>

we are starting the initial phase of training, we chose skolelinux/debian-edu to tap into the excellent work that has been happening

20:06:41

< sepski>

j4v4m4n_, whats the name of the custom linux distro you used priviously ?

20:07:02

< j4v4m4n_>

we will need to have support for input methods, fonts and translations for Kannada language

20:07:47

< j4v4m4n_>

sepski, http://support.space-kerala.org/wiki/index.php/Download_IT@School_GNU/Linux

20:07:59

< j4v4m4n_>

It is called IT@School GNU/Linux

20:08:26

-!- muammar

(Muammar El Khatib) [~muammar@190.72.125.208] has joined #debian-edu

20:08:55

-!- debalance_

(Philipp Huebner) [~quassel@92.116.188.57] has joined #debian-edu

20:10:05

< sepski>

j4v4m4n_, thanks. you have surely come to the right place :) do you have anything else to add, before we close the meeting ?

20:10:08

-!- debalance_

[~quassel@92.116.188.57] has quit [Remote host closed the connection]

20:10:24

< danielsan>

nice