Time in UTC

nick

message

18:01:15

* danielsan

= Daniel Hess

18:01:51

-!-

Irssi: Topic: -: release command center | Debian-Edu/Skolelinux 3.0 codename "Terra" released | work on 3.0r1 going on | next meeting *today* 2007-08-23 18:00 UTC (20:00 CET)

18:01:51

-!-

Irssi: Topic: +: Debian-Edu/Skolelinux meeting in progress | Agenda on http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Meeting | 1: Who can write the summary?

18:01:51

-!-

sepski changed the topic of #debian-edu to: Debian-Edu/Skolelinux meeting in progress | Agenda on http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Meeting | 1: Who can write the summary?

18:02:17

sepski

everyone acknowledge their presense with /me = Real Name

18:02:23

* sepski

= Ronny Aasen

18:02:28

* Andreas

= Andreas Tille

18:03:10

* pere

= Petter Reinholdtsen

18:04:02

sepski

agenda 1: Who can write the summary? the summary is critical for the common knowledge. so i don't think we should continue without a summary writer.

18:05:29

Andreas

question from newbee: I don't know your summaries but would be a complete log suffice for the common knowledge?

18:06:19

sepski

Andreas, the log is allways put on the wiki. but the summaries are posted on the mailinglists in addition to the wikies. and ofcourse the summaries only contains the meat of the meeting and not all the discussion.

18:07:09

sepski

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Meeting/20070813 for an example of the minutes /summary

18:08:16

pere

the summary is very important to let those not present know what was discussed here.

18:10:41

pere

Andreas: do you have time to write the summary?

18:11:11

Andreas

Well, I could say no, but if wee wait much longer there will be nothing to summarize.

18:11:44

sepski

Andreas, is that a yes ? :)

18:12:04

* winnie

= Patrick Winnertz

18:13:42

sepski

winnie, welcome. we'r still at agenda point 1 looking for someone to write the summary

18:14:07

winnie

no sorry. I can only partly attend since i have to pack things for holidays tomorrow

18:14:29

danielsan

if it's like last meeting random people should show up now :)

18:17:42

winnie

:) okay then let's start

18:17:55

winnie

20 minutes over without having anything discussed...

18:18:05

sepski

I guess the log will have to suffice. does anyone claim ownership of 2: Status of press coverage and wants to say anything about it.

18:18:10

* jever

= J├╝rgen Leibner

18:18:14

-!-

Irssi: Topic: -: 1: Who can write the summary?

18:18:14

-!-

Irssi: Topic: +: 2: Status of press coverage

18:18:14

-!-

sepski changed the topic of #debian-edu to: Debian-Edu/Skolelinux meeting in progress | Agenda on http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Meeting | 2: Status of press coverage

18:18:27

pere

sepski: I do not really see the point of holding a meeting with no-one to write the summary.

18:19:01

pere

it means most of the stuff we discuss here today will be forgotten.

18:19:04

sepski

pere, i am inclined to agree, since nobody will take notice of what went down here anyway

18:19:14

sepski

(who truly reads the logs on the wiki) :)

18:19:33

-!-

Andreas [~tille@pD95158AC.dip0.t-ipconnect.de] has quit [Ping timeout: 480 seconds]

18:19:51

jever

the summary writer, may be :)

18:19:57

winnie

fine :)

18:20:04

pere

jever: do you have time to write the summary?

18:20:25

jever

if you ask me, I will do it

18:20:31

sepski

jever, please...

18:20:39

danielsan

jever: please

18:20:44

pere

jever: everyone is asked. it is the open issue of today.

18:21:12

jever

sepski: yes, I will write it to help ou

18:21:17

jever

+t

18:21:28

danielsan

jever: thanks

18:21:35

sepski

jever, thanks, we casn finaly begin

18:21:39

sepski

:)

18:21:49

pere

20 minutes spent on that.

18:21:54

sepski

anyone that have anything to say about 2: Status of press coverage

18:21:57

pere

40 minutes to go. :)

18:22:09

pere

one thing

18:22:27

pere

we should try to merge the different lists of press coverage into one list, and join forces to keep that list updated.

18:23:04

sepski

do you know the urls for the different lists for the record ?

18:23:54

pere

http://wiki.skolelinux.no/Presse links to the other two.

18:24:20

pere

if someone have time to merge, it would be great.

18:24:35

pere

(and perhaps translate it to english. :)

18:24:45

sepski

multilanguage all in one page ?

18:25:17

pere

yes, why not. I am interested in how much press coverage we get in other countries.

18:26:59

winnie

okay move to the next topic?

18:27:07

sepski

sounds like a good idea to me. if someone can merge and redirect http://wiki.skolelinux.de/Presse/Texte into http://wiki.skolelinux.no/Presse it would be great,

18:27:20

-!-

Irssi: Topic: -: 2: Status of press coverage

18:27:20

-!-

Irssi: Topic: +: 3: Preparing for release 3.0r1 | rough schedule

18:27:20

-!-

sepski changed the topic of #debian-edu to: Debian-Edu/Skolelinux meeting in progress | Agenda on http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Meeting | 3: Preparing for release 3.0r1 - rough schedule

18:27:36

sepski

3: Preparing for release 3.0r1 - rough schedule who wants to say anything about 3.0r1 ?

18:27:39

danielsan

there is a roadmap here: http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/roadmap

18:28:08

danielsan

it consists of the points made by pere some time ago in an e-mail to debian-edu@l.d.o

18:28:23

sepski

i think i can spend some time on the cd build

18:28:32

danielsan

would be nice if people could add their points and clain points they are working on

18:29:04

pere

are anyone interested in collecting windows installers of free software for the live DVD images?

18:29:22

danielsan

s/clain/claim/

18:29:32

pere

I can look into how to copy that stuff on the image, but do not know how to select the software.

18:29:34

jever

is there a chance to get a new install profile on the dvd?

18:29:48

pere

jever: what do you mean?

18:30:22

danielsan

pere: things like openoffice.org, GIMP and so on?

18:30:31

pere

yeah.

18:30:36

jever

I was asked, if one can have something like a portal server as an install profile

18:30:56

danielsan

i think we should create a subpage and list software with direct links to the downloads there

18:31:15

danielsan

if enough gets in there it may be worth including it

18:31:22

jever

here is a company which develops such software and wants to integrate it perhaps

18:31:24

winnie

jever: i think this is to specialised. afaik there is a barebone profile...

18:31:41

sepski

jever, my impression is that each site want to customize their own portal, also this might be a part of national central authentication schemes like FEIDE in norway.

18:32:06

pere

did anyone check out the bugzilla bugs lately? they need to be checked and their priority updated.

18:32:42

pere

anyway, rough schedule for r1 is the topic. I say we make a new release at the end of this month with the changes present then.

18:32:46

winnie

pere: i looked over the bugzilla bugs of lwat and i think some of them are closed now

18:32:55

pere

winnie: did you close them?

18:32:59

jever

yes, so a platform server with needed components and connection to the tjener and authentication can be profiled?

18:33:13

winnie

pere: not yet, they are assigned to finnarne and finnarne should have a look over them

18:33:58

pere

winnie: well, finnarne has made it clear that he very rarely look at the bugzilla bugs, so we should not wait for that to happen.

18:34:01

sepski

jever, that's the present barebone profile. you can add your needed portal / application to that

18:34:28

jever

sepski: ah, ok, so we will try it

18:34:33

pere

winnie: so someone need to check if the bug is present, and close it if it is fixed. we need to reduce the noise in bugzilla.

18:34:38

winnie

pere: i wrote him that he should do K;-)

18:35:04

pere

winnie: did you add a comment to the ones you believe are fixed now? if not, please do.

18:35:20

pere

that way the next person to have alook at the bug will know that you believe it is fixed.

18:35:27

winnie

pere: okay I'm on my way to do so ;-)

18:35:28

sepski

ok r1: check the roadmap, check bugzilla verify new ones. and fix verified bugs, we move on unless someone have more to add.

18:35:43

pere

are there any protests to release with what we got?

18:36:09

winnie

pere: docu is missing

18:36:09

danielsan

pere: if it's enough to have something to announce :)

18:36:16

pere

I really do not want us to extend the scope of r1 until it become a very large proejct to get it released.

18:36:26

pere

danielsan: it is definitely enough to announce news, yes.

18:36:50

pere

we should push a few packages from etch-test to etch to polish it even further.

18:37:43

* danielsan

would like to the lwat with updated german translation

18:38:13

danielsan

s/the/see/

18:38:19

pere

danielsan: is the updated translation in bts?

18:38:37

danielsan

pere: no, not yet

18:38:41

winnie

danielsan: still missing... :S

18:38:50

pere

well, nothing to wait for, then. :)

18:38:51

danielsan

but i'll add it if that helps

18:39:28

sepski

ok we move on. 20 mins left

18:39:54

sepski

4: version number and code name for the next release - didnt we do this last meeting ? r1 have no new name and lenny is to far ahead to bother with it now

18:39:56

-!-

Irssi: Topic: -: 3: Preparing for release 3.0r1 | rough schedule

18:39:56

-!-

Irssi: Topic: +: 4: version number and code name for the next release

18:39:56

-!-

sepski changed the topic of #debian-edu to: Debian-Edu/Skolelinux meeting in progress | Agenda on http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Meeting | 4: version number and code name for the next release

18:40:08

winnie

danielsan: i think yes.. this would be a reminder for finnarne & me

18:40:33

winnie

sepski: we should move this to a meeting after r1

18:40:58

sepski

winnie, agreed

18:41:09

pere

sepski: nope, we did not discuss it last time, because of the reasons you stated. :)

18:41:33

sepski

i still think we dont need to discuss lennys edu codename yet

18:41:38

pere

I agree, put it on hold until we start working on lenny stuff.

18:41:52

sepski

5:developing a development strategy for lenny, postponed from last time since it's huge

18:41:54

-!-

Irssi: Topic: -: 4: version number and code name for the next release

18:41:54

-!-

Irssi: Topic: +: 5:developing a development strategy for lenny

18:41:54

-!-

sepski changed the topic of #debian-edu to: Debian-Edu/Skolelinux meeting in progress | Agenda on http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Meeting | 5:developing a development strategy for lenny

18:42:24

danielsan

last meeting it was sugested to handle this point at the meeting in Extremadura

18:42:46

pere

I would like us to start building lenny images as soon as r1 is out, from our own repository. this will give us working images while we spend time to reduce the amount of packages in our repository.

18:42:52

danielsan

but h01ger was not here to say something about that (as he has a plan)

18:43:16

pere

I know h01ger want us to not build from our own repository, in the belief that it will make us more focused on fixing stuff in lenny.

18:43:48

pere

I suspect his strategy will give us less motivated developers spending time elsewhere, and not developers focused on fixing stuff in lenny. :/

18:43:54

winnie

i think too we should build at first from our own repro

18:44:12

sepski

pere, a good plan for integration into debian, but it makes it harder for non DD's to test their stuff since they need a sponsored upload first

18:44:29

danielsan

winnie: me too, things may change later, but for now, ...

18:44:47

winnie

for now we have too much packages which aren't in debian or aren't in testing

18:44:54

winnie

so we should use our own repro

18:44:56

pere

we do not need to conclude today, so I suggest we talk about this in extremadura. now you know some of the ideas, at least.

18:44:59

sepski

if we went that path we realy must build from sid in any case

18:45:53

sepski

we move on ?

18:46:16

pere

yeah

18:46:18

sepski

6: Extremadura 2007 - who have something to say ? ( 15 minutes left )

18:46:20

-!-

Irssi: Topic: -: 5:developing a development strategy for lenny

18:46:20

-!-

Irssi: Topic: +: 6: Extremadura 2007

18:46:20

-!-

sepski changed the topic of #debian-edu to: Debian-Edu/Skolelinux meeting in progress | Agenda on http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Meeting | 6: Extremadura 2007

18:46:34

winnie

okay, i made a summary who have when time:

18:46:36

pere

I would like to go to spain, but it depend on the dates.

18:47:01

winnie

so atm: Ocotober: 3; November: 1; December: 2

18:47:16

winnie

danielsan: i moved you into december...

18:48:14

danielsan

for me it would depend on the exact date for october and november

18:48:29

pere

one idea came up yesterday, to hold it close to the OOo-conference, <URL: http://marketing.openoffice.org/ooocon2007/ >.

18:48:29

winnie

the most who wants to go in october would like to have something in the german holidays (Andreas & me)

18:48:29

pere

winnie: I believe those "votes" are bogus, as at least my votes do not cover an entire month.

18:48:37

winnie

pere: i only looked at the month, yes.

18:48:50

sepski

winnie, if there is a wikipage url where people can sign up/mark the dates that fits the best it would be nice to have it in the summary.

18:48:57

pere

one way to do it is to get everyone interested to state when they are unable to go, and then see what "holes" in the calendar apepars.

18:49:09

winnie

http://wiki.debian.org/DEbia

18:49:11

winnie

ups

18:49:20

winnie

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Extremadura2007

18:50:12

pere

winnie: can you collect info from everyone about when they _can't_ join, and then try to find such holes?

18:50:14

sepski

pity i'm so low on time and money :|

18:50:23

winnie

okay

18:50:35

pere

sepski: travel and lodging is covered by the local area government.

18:50:52

winnie

pere: since i'm for ~1,5 weeks in holdays (unitl 3. sep) it would be good if everybody can sign up *now* on this page

18:51:13

pere

winnie: well, then someone else need to do it, as that is not going to happen _now_.

18:51:30

sepski

pere, one problem less :)

18:51:46

sepski

9 minutes left. if there is nothing else, we'll move on

18:52:05

winnie

i know :)

18:52:15

-!-

Irssi: Topic: -: 6: Extremadura 2007

18:52:15

-!-

Irssi: Topic: +: 7: Common CDD tools

18:52:15

-!-

sepski changed the topic of #debian-edu to: Debian-Edu/Skolelinux meeting in progress | Agenda on http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Meeting | 7: Common CDD tools

18:52:17

sepski

7 Common CDD tools

18:53:05

sepski

* Andreas has quit (Ping timeout: 480 seconds) broke this one i guess

18:53:13

pere

not quite

18:53:49

pere

he is working on converting debian-edu to use the common CDD tools, trying to converge the different CDDs to use a common set of tools. I believe this is a good idea.

18:54:25

pere

his strategy so far is to take the debian-edu tools, remove the debian-edu specific hardcoded stuff and make it more configurable. next convert our packages to use the new tools.

18:55:10

pere

the positive effect is that we can get help from other cdds to maintain and improve the tools. the negative effect is that it become slightly harder to modify the tools (have to send then through the cdd-tools maintainer).

18:55:33

pere

luckily, we can all become part of the cdd project and do the work directly there, so it is not a big problem. :)

18:55:42

pere

any objections to this work?

18:56:39

sepski

sounds like a great idea. i think the benefits are worth the drawbacks

18:56:41

pere

of not, I believe we should send our gratitude to andreas tille and move on. :)

18:57:08

* danielsan

likes the idea too

18:57:32

pere

2 minutes left.

18:57:36

sepski

do we need to address the subpoints individually ? eg : Usage of SVN (trunk?) should we answer that ?

18:57:56

pere

well, I guess he wonder about them. can we answer them?

18:58:07

sepski

i can't. can you ?

18:58:24

pere

not really. I believe it is ok to work on trunk, but only if we are careful. :)

18:58:38

-!-

Irssi: Topic: -: 7: Common CDD tools

18:58:38

-!-

Irssi: Topic: +: 8; Next meeting?

18:58:38

-!-

sepski changed the topic of #debian-edu to: Debian-Edu/Skolelinux meeting in progress | Agenda on http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Meeting | 8; Next meeting?

18:58:47

sepski

Next meeting any suggestions for date ?

18:59:18

pere

wednesday 29th?

18:59:33

pere

or saturday 1th?

18:59:51

* h01ger

waves - sorry, RL took its toll...

18:59:53

sepski

is the goal to release r1 that weekend ? 1th ?

19:00:04

pere

it is a goal for me, at least. :)

19:00:09

sepski

h01ger, RL tends to do that

19:00:36

sepski

anyone have objections towards saturday 1th?

19:01:20

sepski

i'd like it a bit later then now. and i think the late turnup of most participants show that we might push it to 19:00 UTC (21:00 CET )

19:01:26

danielsan

i'm far away taking part on a ham-radio contest on saturday 1th, ...

19:02:38

danielsan

but i'm sure you will do well without me :)

19:02:42

sepski

also remind on http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Meeting/VoteForDate perhaps we can update thatone to make date choosing easier.

19:03:11

sepski

danielsan, we need everyone we can get our claws into :)

19:03:55

pere

so, when do we meet?

19:04:06

sepski

we just need to set the next date so it can be announced in the meeting summary then we can finish for today.

19:04:08

pere

what about friday 30th?

19:04:13

pere

31th, I mean.

19:04:49

sepski

i allways say ok since i dont have plans more then ~30 mins into the future :)

19:05:12

sepski

anyone objects to 31 ?

19:05:17

danielsan

that should work for me

19:05:23

sepski

then that's done.

19:05:46

sepski

jever, thanks again for writing the summary.

19:05:52

sepski

meeting is done

19:05:53

* danielsan

would like to see other people here, was a bit low the last few meetings

19:06:07

sepski

btw : same time or later ?

19:06:16

jever

sepski: if I can help I do

19:06:23

danielsan

other people too (not that the one here are not ok :)

19:06:30

pere

I would prefer it not to be any later.

19:06:35

sepski

ok then we stick with now