Meeting notes for the Debian Edu meeting taking place on #debian-edu 2006-10-16 17:00 UTC.
- Moderator: Petter Reinholdtsen
- Log collector: Holger Levsen
- Writing the summary: Ronny Aasen
Log is available at /log
The following people gave input to the meeting:
- pere: Petter Reinholdtsen, h01ger: Holger Levsen, sepski: Ronny Aasen
Meeting time and participation
- There was some initial confusion, since one time had been published on the wiki and another on the irc topic. but the meeting started 17:00 UTC. It was decided to keep the meeting even with the low number of participants.
Status of etch
There is a wikipage at Status of Etch, that we will try to keep current with issues and problems for the etch install. This is also a good resource to check before testing the installer. Petter reported that the cd build should be stabilised, and in the cases where it fails, it should do so in a detectable fashion, and not create broken cd's. He have also enabled the graphical installer as default, this seams to break the installation of a few packages. This needs to be tested and bugs written. It was decided to try to autobuild the source cd's too. The content of these must be verified match the binary cd's There are 2 serious issues before we can release a test02, the libnss-ldap issue, and the broken ltsp build. Ronny would try and fix the ltsp issue after the meeting.
useradmin problem and solution
- current status is that we have no easy to use user admin tool. webmin is gone from etch, so wlus have no framework to run on. The alternatives currently in etch including GOSA and phpldapadmin are not very userfriendly. the alternative with cipux is not packaged in etch, and it's unclear how much work is needed in order to have it packaged.
- Holger is working on helping cipux integrate in debian.
- Anders Kringstad Hanssen is checking out the alternatives in etch, to see if we can configure them to become more userfriendly. A decision on what to focus the energy on should be made soon
- In order to resolve the RC bug, we need to reduce the amount of configuration needed. And then focus on solving the problems for the remaining few packages. Work must also be done to purge debien-edu-config for old woody and sarge configurations. Then the remaining must be evaluated if it is needed, or not. If a package must be configured and can not be fixed, in time. We can also try and look at using alternative packages that are preseedable and included in etch
date and time for the next meeting
The date for the next meeting was set at 2006-10-30 17:00 UTC. Please update the DebianEdu/Meeting agenda and reserve the time in your schedules.