1 21:00 <@white> somebody interested in writing the summary?
2 21:01 <@white> ok if someone wants to write it please stand up at every time
3 21:01 < pwinnertz> white: jep, I (if nobody else wants to do this
4 21:01 <@white> pwinnertz: ok please write down your name on the wiki page
5 21:01 < pwinnertz> okay
6 21:02 * Werner == Morten Werner Olsen
7 21:02 <@white> everyone who wants to attend the meeting please do /me = RealName
8 21:02 * white = Steffen Joeris
9 21:02 * pwinnertz = Patrick Winnertz
10 21:02 * jemtland == Frode Jemtland
11 21:03 <@Werner> that's all folks?
12 21:03 <@white> ok
13 21:03 * k4x = Kurt Gramlich
14 21:03 * stockholm is andreas schuldei
15 21:03 <@white> at first we have two devel points on the agenda
16 21:03 <@white> anyone interested in giving an overview about the status of porting the installer to etch?
17 21:03 <@white> sepski: ping
18 21:04 <@white> ok i can at least inform you
19 21:04 <@Werner> good
20 21:04 <@white> we are more or less finish with our installer
21 21:04 <@white> the etch installer changed and base-config is gone
22 21:04 <@white> this means that we only have one stage of installation
23 21:05 <@white> well in detail two but both are happening *before* the system reboots
24 21:05 <@white> so everything is done and the system reboots into a finish stage
25 21:05 <@Werner> great!
26 21:05 <@white> we will have the following questions during installation
27 21:05 <@white> at first language question
28 21:05 <@white> second one is our profile question
29 21:05 <@white> third one is partitioning
30 21:06 <@white> which is not yet done automatically and needs a lot of work i guess :(
31 21:06 <@white> fourth one is the root pw
32 21:06 <@white> and then the installation is done out of the box
33 21:06 <@Werner> sounds very good!
34 21:06 <@white> we put the cfengine run at the end of the prebaseconf part
35 21:06 <@white> and preseeded the security mirror so that it is not called directly
36 21:06 <@white> not sure in which way we will change it
37 21:07 <@white> that's the report any questions so far?
38 21:07 <@Werner> we will of course go through the services, one by one to test them.
39 21:07 <@white> if so please type "yes" first so that i know that you wanna ask something :)
40 21:07 <@jemtland> none from me, looks wery good :)
41 21:08 <@white> ok i have one question which needs to be discussed
42 21:08 <@Werner> and have anyone been in touch with the debian-boot people about doing debian-edu-installation from the debian-cd?
43 21:08 <@Werner> yes.. :)
44 21:08 <@white> ok Werner's question first
45 21:08 <@white> Werner: do you mean building the cds?
46 21:09 <@white> Werner: or do you mean bringing our changes back into the d-i
47 21:09 <@white> ?
48 21:09 <@Werner> no, using the official Debian CD to do the Debian-Edu installer..
49 21:09 <@Werner> that will probably have to wait for etch+1?
50 21:09 -!- tiemo
51 21:09 <@white> saldy, but it should be on high priority
52 21:09 < Werner> tiemo: hi .. please join us at irc.oftc.net.
53 21:09 <@white> i guess for terra we will have our own CD but it should be a release goal for etch+1 yes
54 21:10 <@white> ok i have another question
55 21:10 <@Werner> we could start looking at opportunities.
56 21:10 <@Werner> ok
57 21:10 <@white> as you all know we will have security support for sarge
58 21:10 <@white> but not yet for terra (etch-based)
59 21:10 <@white> not until it is released
60 21:10 <@white> so i wondered if we should include testing-security or not?
61 21:11 <@white> any pros or cons?
62 21:11 <@Werner> I guess we should get the security infrastructure for sarge first..
63 21:11 <@jemtland> how mutch extra work will it be ?
64 21:11 <@Werner> s/first/in place first/
65 21:11 <@white> ok i am mainly talking about adding the mirror to the sources.list
66 21:11 <@white> the pro is that testing-security will do some job for us
67 21:12 * sepski is Ronny Aasen sorry for beeing late
68 21:12 <@white> the con is that nobody of us has an eye on it
69 21:12 <@white> and i have no experiences with testing-security team and how it works
70 21:12 <@white> sepski: welcome
71 21:12 -!- tiemo
72 21:12 <@white> for those who attend later please do a /ME = RealName for the protocol
73 21:12 <@Werner> white: we can add the deb-line for testing-security in sources.list
74 21:13 -!- tiemo
75 21:13 <@white> any objections?
76 21:13 -!- tiemo
77 21:13 <@Werner> from the time that testing-security have started to use the security.debian.org-infrastructure ..
78 21:13 <@white> yes
79 21:13 <@Werner> the line in sources.list will be the same for testing and stable-to-be..
80 21:13 <@white> jip
81 21:13 <@Werner> so I guess we can add it rather sooner than later.
82 21:13 -!- tiemo
83 21:14 <@white> ok someone who wants to add the information to the bugreport?
84 21:14 <@white> http://bugs.skolelinux.no/show_bug.cgi?id=1084
85 21:14 <@Werner> we can just add a link to the meeting protocol.
86 21:14 <@white> Werner: ok
87 21:15 <@white> anything else regarding the installer?
88 21:15 <@white> my goal is to get down to 3 questions during a debian-edu installation
89 21:15 <@white> language, profile, root pw
90 21:16 <@Werner> I believe we should ask the user before we overwrite the users harddrive.
91 21:16 <@white> Werner: ah well yes
92 21:16 < sepski> agreed
93 21:16 < pwinnertz> Werner: of course yes
94 21:16 <@white> ok then four questions for terra
95 21:16 < sepski> i feel allowing the user to partition manualÃžy is a good thing, doing expert installs takes a lot more work
96 21:16 < pwinnertz> but as i understand white you have to part the disk manually completeley
97 21:17 <@white> i don't think that manual partitioning is desired
98 21:17 <@Werner> sepski: but during expert-mode, isn't using all the defaults the same as doing non-expert?
99 21:17 <@Werner> or?
100 21:17 < sepski> yes, you have to click enter a lot more :)
101 21:17 < pwinnertz> white: i thinks so too
102 21:17 <@white> i want to have a normal mode with autopartitioning and the 4 questions mentioned above
103 21:17 <@white> and a "debian-edu-expert" mode with some additional profiles and maybe manual partitioning
104 21:18 < sepski> white but an requester that say we will now autopartition and an optin to do it manualy is not too bad
105 21:18 <@Werner> sepski: another way is to do preseeding at boot?
106 21:18 <@Werner> for the questions that you want to alter?
107 21:18 < sepski> and it seams that's the way it works in partman-auto too
108 21:19 <@white> i guess we need to fix partman or?
109 21:19 <@white> isn't it broken in etch?
110 21:19 < sepski> that we make our own default menu entry to the current partitioner. and thatone calles our partition recipt that do the work
111 21:19 <@white> sepski: i am not sure if that patch will be accepted :(
112 21:20 < sepski> white, i didnt belive it have to be a patch
113 21:20 < sepski> but i dont grasp partman fully yet, have just been browsing it
114 21:20 <@white> i really want to get rid of the autopartioning problem during extremadura
115 21:21 <@white> but it will be a lot of work i guess :(
116 21:21 <@white> any other points regarind autopartitioning?
117 21:21 <@white> i want to finish the first point
118 21:21 <@white> the second point on the agenda is: Status of updated cfengine for debian-edu-config for etch
119 21:21 <@white> anyone interested in giving a summary?
120 21:22 <@white> ok i can do that in short as well
121 21:22 <@white> we fixed the cfengine scripts at some points to get them etch complianed
122 21:22 < sepski> only a note: i noticed there are debian-edu-service.conf and debian-edu-sarge.conf files in debian-edu-conf. we should realy try to clean it up a little
123 21:22 -!- tiemo
124 21:22 <@white> and as far as i could see ( i might be wring) ldap needs some work
125 21:23 <@white> sepski: yes debian-edu-config needs a lot of cleaning
126 21:23 <@white> so i guess ldap is left and the other services need to be verified
127 21:23 <@white> but all in all the cfengine run is working without problems :)
128 21:23 <@white> and keep in mind that it is running inside the chroot
129 21:23 <@Werner> heh.. still a lot of work to do then :)
130 21:24 <@Werner> white: your tests?
131 21:24 <@white> Werner: jip :)
132 21:24 <@Werner> ok .. we should make sure we have CD's, CD-burner and hardware for testing in Extremadura..
133 21:24 <@white> Werner: of course
134 21:24 <@white> maybe someone should write a mail to the organizer?
135 21:24 <@Werner> stockholm: can you do that?
136 21:24 <@jemtland> yes, important point about testing hw....
137 21:25 < stockholm> um, reading backlog
138 21:25 -!- ThierryForb
139 21:25 <@jemtland> stockholm: just the last two minutes
140 21:25 <@white> ok anything else regarding the cfengine run?
141 21:25 <@Werner> we need at least one test-setup with main-server, thin-client-server, thin-client and network equipment for connecting them..
142 21:25 < stockholm> i guess cds we need to bring ourselfs
143 21:25 <@Werner> or best, two such setup's..
144 21:26 < stockholm> hardware for testing and cdburners: i can check.
145 21:26 <@Werner> stockholm: great
146 21:26 -!- ThierryForb
147 21:26 <@white> stockholm: goodie
148 21:26 <@white> for those who attend later on please do a /ME = RealName to indicate that you are here
149 21:26 <@white> anything else regarding the cfengine run?
150 21:27 < sepski> white, how did you notice a ldap error ?
151 21:27 <@white> maybe also see http://bugs.skolelinux.no/show_bug.cgi?id=1092
152 21:27 * ThierryForb = stauder thierry
153 21:27 <@white> sepski: it produces some warnings during slapd startup :)
154 21:27 <@Werner> stockholm: i'll bring some CD's..
155 21:27 < sepski> in my mainserver install slapd runs and binds to interface. i have not tested a query yet
156 21:27 <@Werner> sepski: good
157 21:27 < ThierryForb> sorry i'm late
158 21:27 <@white> sepski: great maybe a local problem, we can check it again :)
159 21:27 < sepski> in console ? i dont see that, not in any logs either
160 21:27 < sepski> ill test it again too
161 21:27 <@white> ok next point on the agenda
162 21:28 <@white> planned tasks for Extremadura (mostly porting, summary by white)
163 21:28 < pwinnertz> stop
164 21:28 <@Werner> white: what do you mean by porting?
165 21:28 <@white> sorry?
166 21:28 <@white> pwinnertz: you had a remark?
167 21:28 < pwinnertz> one important message for everybody who is interested: apt-get upgrade from sarge-test runs without any errors
168 21:28 < pwinnertz> white: only this ;-)
169 21:29 <@white> pwinnertz: good to know
170 21:29 <@white> anyway we continue
171 21:29 < pwinnertz> white: ye, this is why i said it ;-)
172 21:29 <@white> i want to present the points which should be fixed during extremadura
173 21:29 <@white> as they are of top priority for the terra development
174 21:29 < ThierryForb> in Extramadura we plan to work on the Intranet dev
175 21:30 <@white> Werner: with porting i mean that everything works fine with etch
176 21:30 <@Werner> white: ok,thanks
177 21:30 <@white> the following points are really critical:
178 21:30 <@white> security infrastructure for sarge
179 21:30 <@white> 2. finish installer port
180 21:30 <@white> 3. autopartinioning fix (extra point as it is a lot of work)
181 21:31 <@white> 4. porting the cfengine run and adjust it where neccessary
182 21:31 <@white> 5. cleaning up debian-edu-install and debian-edu-config to prepare it for etch
183 21:31 <@white> 6. finish the implementation of old things, e.g. barebone profile
184 21:31 <@white> 7. reducing the bugs and bringing the bugzilla in a good and up to date shape
185 21:32 <@white> 8. maybe finishing the transition of bugzilla?
186 21:32 <@white> 9. maybe doing some more ftpmastering to fix something
187 21:32 < ThierryForb> the french team wants to continue the work on the Intrn
188 21:32 <@white> 10. very important: making sure that all debian-edu related packages are RC bug free (we will try it)
189 21:32 < ThierryForb> Intranet to get it ready for etch
190 21:32 <@white> these things are a "must" for the Terra Development for 3.0
191 21:33 <@white> comments? criticism? remarks?
192 21:33 <@white> i guess it is more than we can do during these days :(
193 21:34 < pwinnertz> ThierryForb: what do you exactly mean with Intranet?
194 21:34 < sepski> we have to do some work here too. without this resolved we wont be in etch http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=311188
195 21:34 < xorAxAx> pwinnertz: s/with/by/ ;-)
196 21:34 <@white> ThierryForb: you mention the intranet, can you expand it a bit?
197 21:35 < ThierryForb> white, of course
198 21:35 <@white> sepski: we should analyse this bug yes
199 21:35 < pwinnertz> xorAxAx: sorry
200 21:35 < ThierryForb> we want to get an intranet with of lot services for schools
201 21:35 < xorAxAx> pwinnertz: hey, no problem :)
202 21:35 < pwinnertz> ThierryForb: what kind of services?
203 21:36 < ThierryForb> first a newspaper, a forum,
204 21:36 < sepski> white, i guess it boils down to, debian changing it's policy (or giving us a special case) or we altering the way we do the cfenginge run
205 21:36 < ThierryForb> then documentation of the application
206 21:36 <@white> ThierryForb: sounds like a great plan
207 21:36 < ThierryForb> an inferface for squid and squidguard to manage white and black lists
208 21:37 < ThierryForb> an interface to create modify and delete users with cipux
209 21:37 < ThierryForb> a skill manager for schools
210 21:37 < ThierryForb> ...
211 21:37 <@Werner> ThierryForb: I guess Extremadura will be a good place to ask for sponsoring uploads to Debian .. if these are own Debian packages..
212 21:38 < ThierryForb> for all this work we choosed the cms Moodle
213 21:38 < ThierryForb> of course
214 21:38 -!- zobel
215 21:38 < zobel> re
216 21:38 <@white> zobel: wb
217 21:38 <@white> for all who attend later please do a /ME = RealName
218 21:38 < ThierryForb> werner, yes we know we have to be quick to get this new packages into debian before freeze
219 21:39 < zobel> sorry for being late... just arrived in berlin
220 21:39 < ThierryForb> a great part of this job is already done
221 21:39 * zobel == FTP-Master of Desaster of Skolelinux == Martin Zobel-Helas :)
222 21:39 < ThierryForb> you can see it on http://moodle.skolelinux.fr
223 21:39 <@white> ThierryForb: maybe you also want to prepare a short overview for the general devel assembly in extremadura?
224 21:40 < stockholm> ThierryForb: do you want to get something into base?
225 21:40 < ThierryForb> great idea ;)
226 21:40 < stockholm> ThierryForb: otherwise the freeze is some time away
227 21:40 < ThierryForb> stockholm, what do you mean ?
228 21:41 < stockholm> ThierryForb: what package do you want to get into debain, and what part of debian should it be part of?
229 21:41 < stockholm> essential?
230 21:41 -!- sepone
231 21:41 < stockholm> base?
232 21:41 < stockholm> optional?
233 21:41 < stockholm> ...?
234 21:41 -!- sepone
235 21:41 < stockholm> ThierryForb: the base freeze is soon, but not the rest
236 21:42 < ThierryForb> ok the main package of moodle is already in etch
237 21:42 < stockholm> great.
238 21:42 < zobel> could somebody pint me to the log of what happend til now???
239 21:42 < stockholm> if it is in etch you dont have to worry
240 21:42 < ThierryForb> for the others probably optionnal but i'm not a specialist of this question ...
241 21:43 < stockholm> ThierryForb: you can find it in the control file of the debian package.
242 21:43 <@Werner> stockholm: I do not agree to that .. first new packages should go through new .. then prove that they don't have any RC bugs .. then maybe - etch..
243 21:43 * xzz Sven Harald Bakke
244 21:44 <@Werner> I believe it's about time to get new packages into Debian if they should make it ..
245 21:44 < stockholm> Werner: i meant moodle. ThierryForb said it was in etch already.
246 21:44 < stockholm> Werner: then it does not need to go through etch anymore
247 21:44 <@Werner> right .. I was thinking about other _new_ packages..
248 21:44 < stockholm> s/etch/new/
249 21:44 <@white> ThierryForb: maybe you can also create a list of packages the french team is using and which are not yet in debian so we can talk about them during extremadura?
250 21:44 <@Werner> ThierryForb: isn't theese moodle-addons?
251 21:44 < ThierryForb> stockholm, I checked Priority: optional
252 21:44 < ThierryForb> yes of course
253 21:45 <@white> goodie :)
254 21:45 <@white> do we have any other points regarding extremadura?
255 21:45 < stockholm> ThierryForb: in that case the freeze is much later. i think ~october?
256 21:45 < ThierryForb> since 2 month all the french sources are in the svn ;)
257 21:45 < stockholm> zobel: ?
258 21:46 <@Werner> white: yes
259 21:46 <@white> Werner: ok
260 21:46 < zobel> stockholm: ?
261 21:46 <@Werner> maybe we should ask all people that is attending to write a short summary to email@example.com and mention which of the points you wrote earlier they want to work with?
262 21:46 < stockholm> when is the freeze for optional?
263 21:46 < stockholm> for etch?
264 21:47 < zobel> 8th oct IIRC
265 21:47 < stockholm> yay. thanks
266 21:47 < ThierryForb> white for Extramadura the french team will present a state of the work, a demo from moodle, an a list of our packages
267 21:47 < zobel> N-45 = Wed 18 Oct 06: general freeze [about 2 months after base freeze, d-i RC]
268 21:47 <@white> Werner: good point
269 21:48 <@white> Werner: can you do that?
270 21:48 * h01ger apologizes for not being here at all. there was/is a conflicting #debconf-video, which i completly forgot about (until the start), otherwise i would have asked to move it... but i'm sure you all want the videos :-/ sorry.
271 21:48 <@white> h01ger: no worries
272 21:48 <@Werner> white: I'll do that .. cc'ing all the people attending in addition to debian-edu@ldo
273 21:48 <@white> Werner: great
274 21:49 <@white> anything else regarding Extremadura?
275 21:49 <@Werner> yes
276 21:49 <@white> Werner: ok
277 21:49 <@Werner> white: do you write all the points people will work with on a wiki-page?
278 21:49 < zobel> white: yes. will there be an alternative program for wifes and other "attachments"? :)
279 21:49 <@Werner> that's the last thing about Exremadura from me..
280 21:50 <@white> Werner: i can put my points onto a wiki page so that others can subscribe
281 21:50 <@Werner> great
282 21:50 <@white> zobel: maybe some city visits and during the nights i guess we can have some kind of social events
283 21:50 <@white> stockholm: when you write the organizers can you point them to the "wife" point?
284 21:50 < zobel> white: okay
285 21:50 <@Werner> ahh .. one more from me; we should ask some to arrange a key-signing-party
286 21:51 < zobel> Werner: i can organize that one
287 21:51 <@white> Werner: great idea and also invite people living in that region?
288 21:51 <@Werner> zobel: great!
289 21:51 <@white> hmm i mostly have all signatures :(
290 21:51 <@Werner> we should probably schedule the key-signing-party at friday?
291 21:51 <@white> ok we are short in time so we move on to the last point
292 21:51 <@white> Werner: yes
293 21:51 < zobel> white: same here.. except stockholm's :)
294 21:51 <@Werner> ok .. zobel decides when. :)
295 21:52 <@white> the last point on the agenda is:
296 21:52 <@white> Dev Camp 2006 in France
297 21:52 <@white> ThierryForb: do you want to expand it?
298 21:52 < zobel> oky. white: hit me if i did not do anything til this friday :)
299 21:52 <@white> zobel: sure :)
300 21:52 <@Werner> white: same for me :)
301 21:52 <@white> of course :)
302 21:53 <@white> anyone here who wants to give an overview about Dev Camp 2006 in France
303 21:53 <@white> ?
304 21:53 < ThierryForb> did all see this page : http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/DevCamp2006
305 21:54 < ThierryForb> i've added a new sub page today: http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/DevCamp2006/HowToGetTravellCostPayed
306 21:54 <@white> i can say that it is a great region :)
307 21:54 < ThierryForb> there're few poeple planed at time
308 21:55 < ThierryForb> the funding for travell cost have to be asked as soon as possible
309 21:55 < ThierryForb> can i answer some questions about the camp ?
310 21:56 <@white> of course
311 21:56 < ThierryForb> there'll be a real bed for everyone :)
312 21:56 < ThierryForb> propably a great experience
313 21:56 <@jemtland> ha, ha ...
314 21:57 < ThierryForb> a big party a the end ;)
315 21:57 <@Werner> ThierryForb: will the Minerva EU Project sponsor every developers travel costs?
316 21:57 <@Werner> or is that a decision for the local agencies?
317 21:58 < ThierryForb> werner, yes but it's not for persons it's for organisations
318 21:58 <@Werner> that means each country's organization will have to contact their local agency asking for refunding travel costst?
319 21:58 < ThierryForb> it means that slxlabs for example has to claim for everybody
320 21:58 <@Werner> right, then I understand :)
321 21:58 < ThierryForb> Werner, exactly
322 21:59 <@Werner> the local organizations will have to act rather soon then.
323 21:59 <@white> ok we are running out of time now
324 21:59 < ThierryForb> the plan is in october to ask for 600 000 euros to Minerva
325 21:59 <@white> can we please at first fix the next date?
326 21:59 < ThierryForb> the dev camp is a preparation meeting for that
327 22:00 < sepski> white, could i throw in a question, ?
328 22:00 <@jemtland> As holger missed the meeting, I'll fix the log ... :)
329 22:00 <@white> sepski: a quick one please :)
330 22:00 <@white> jemtland: thanks for providing the log
331 22:00 <@jemtland> white: 4 weeks from now ?
332 22:00 <@white> anyone with objections?
333 22:00 < sepski> for less then technicaly inclined installers (teachers) we have the issue of what to login as when you have installed since root logins is not allowed in etch on X.
334 22:01 <@Werner> ThierryForb: do you have a template the local organizations can use for the application to the local agency?
335 22:01 <@jemtland> 26. june
336 22:01 <@white> first the date
337 22:01 < sepski> add a ldap user during the installation ? or allow root logins on workstation ltsp-server profiles
338 22:01 <@white> objections against the 26 june?
339 22:01 < ThierryForb> to everybody tell us as soon as possible if you will perharps come to france this summer, it's a big organization, to welcome about 50 developers ...
340 22:01 <@Werner> white: go!
341 22:02 * Werner does not have any more vacation left for the Deb Camp :(
342 22:02 <@white> ok the date is fixed, the next devel meeting will be at 26. june
343 22:02 * white is also unable to attend the camp, because of study abroad
344 22:02 < sepski> white, who can plan that far ahead. jsut have to try to keep it clear :))
345 22:02 < ThierryForb> werner it's on the wiki page, the name, the summary, the dates
346 22:02 <@jemtland> Same time as this one ? 19.00 GMT ?
347 22:03 <@jemtland> who will take response for announcing the next meeting ?
348 22:03 <@white> jemtland: interested? :)
349 22:03 < ThierryForb> Werner, it's different in each country
350 22:03 <@Werner> ThierryForb: ok, thanks.
351 22:03 <@jemtland> white: np, I can manage to do that ;)
352 22:04 <@white> jemtland: great
353 22:04 * Werner will have to leave .. thanks for a good meeting everyone!
354 22:04 <@white> so i will close the official part of the meeting for now
355 22:04 -!- |Battery|
356 22:04 [Users #debian-edu]
357 22:04 [@finnarne] [ akai ] [ h01ger ] [ OleA ] [ stockholm ] [ zobel]
358 22:04 [@jemtland] [ bjoernen] [ hermanr ] [ OleA_ ] [ ThierryForb]
359 22:04 [@sep ] [ Bman^ ] [ jorgenhg] [ pere_away] [ vagrantc ]
360 22:04 [@Werner ] [ ettin ] [ k4x ] [ pwinnertz] [ xorAxAx ]
361 22:04 [@white ] [ gamd ] [ klausade] [ sepski ] [ xzz ]
362 22:04 -!- Irssi:
363 22:07 <@jemtland> For meeting reference: #debian-edu: Total of 26 nicks [5 ops, 0 halfops, 0 voices, 21 normal] (HINT: Edit this post for detail)