This is a description on how to install Debian Edu / Skolelinux on a Raspberry PI using Raspbian and debian-edu metapackages.
There is no officially released version of Debian Edu for Raspberry Pi, but it can be easily installed manually. We need to install Debian on Raspberry first, then transform it to a regular Debian Edu workstation. We will start by installing Raspbian. This is a version of Debian that is specially made for Raspberry. After that we install the debian-edu metapackes using a script to transform the installation into a Debian Edu workstation (which needs a Debian Edu main-server to be useful..
1. Download Raspbian.
3. Boot up the Raspberry with the SD card. You will get into raspi-config.. Choose expand_rootfs to expand the root partition to fill the SD card. And then choose configure_keyboard to set the keyboard layout that you are using. It's strongly recommended to change the default password. choose change_pass to change the password. The standard password is: raspberry
4. Log in with username: pi
5. Add password to the root user:
sudo passwd root
6. Then logout and log in as root
7. Update and upgrade the package database:
apt-get update apt-get -y upgrade
8. Install Subversion:
apt-get install –y subversion
9. Download the installation script:
svn co svn://svn.debian.org/svn/debian-edu/branches/wheezy/debian-edu-config/share/debian-edu-config/tools
10. Run the script, install xfce desktop (uses least amount of ram):
DESKTOP=xfce bash -x tools/debian-edu-bless
11. Enable lightdm to get graphical login screen
update-rc.d lightdm enable