New features in Debian Edu Stretch
New features for Debian Edu 9+edu0 Codename Stretch
New version of debian-installer from Debian Stretch, see its installation manual for more details.
- The "Thin-Client-Server" profile has been renamed to "LTSP-Server" profile.
New artwork based on the "soft Waves" theme, the default artwork for Debian 9 Stretch.
- Everything which is new in Debian 9 Stretch, eg:
- Linux kernel 4.9
- Desktop environments KDE Plasma Workspace 5.8, GNOME 3.22, Xfce 4.12, LXDE 0.99.2, MATE 1.16
- KDE Plasma Workspace is installed by default; to choose one of the others see this manual.
- Firefox 45.9 ESR and Chromium 59
Iceweasel has been re-renamed to Firefox!
- Icedove has been re-renamed to Thunderbird and is now installed by default.
- Educational toolbox GCompris 15.10
- Music creator Rosegarden 16.06
- GOsa 2.7.4
- LTSP 5.5.9
- Debian Stretch includes more than 50000 packages available for installation.
Documentation and translation updates
- Translation updates for the templates used in the installer. These templates are now available in 29 languages.
- The Debian Edu Stretch Manual is fully translated to German, French, Italian, Danish, Dutch, Norwegian Bokmål and Japanese. The Japanese translation was newly added for Stretch.
- Partly translated versions exist for Spanish, Polish and Simplified Chinese.
Other changes compared to the previous release
- Icinga replaces Nagios as monitoring tool.
- kde-spectacle replaces ksnapshot as screenshot tool.
- The free flash player gnash is back again.
- Plymouth is installed and activated by default, except for the 'Main Server' and 'Minimal' profiles; pressing ESC allows to view boot and shutdown messages.
- Upon upgrade from Jessie the LDAP data base has to be adjusted. The sudoHost value 'tjener' has to be replaced with 'tjener.intern' using GOsa² or an LDAP editor.
- The 32-bit PC support (known as the Debian architecture i386) now no longer covers a plain i586 processor. The new baseline is the i686, although some i586 processors (e.g. the "AMD Geode") will remain supported.
- Debian 9 enables unattended upgrades (for security updates) by default for new installations. This might cause a delay of about 15 minutes if a system with a low uptime value is powered off.
LTSP now uses NBD instead of NFS for the root filesystem. After each single change to an LTSP chroot, the related NBD image must be regenerated (ltsp-update-image) for the changes to take effect.
- Concurrent logins of the same user on LTSP server and LTSP thin client are no longer allowed.