Presentation about DebianEdu / Skolelinux
G18 Berufschule Wilhemsburg in Hamburg, Germany
by Holger Levsen licenced under the GPL v2
These are some links I'm going to use for a Debian Edu / Skolelinux workshop.
Skolelinux, DebianEdu & Debian
Debian Social Contract Why Debian is a good choice for schools
- router 10.0.2.1/255.255.254.0, broadcast 10.0.3.255 (intern) and 172.18.100.x/255.255.0.0 broadcast 172.18.255.255.0.0(extern) gw 172.18.213.x / no dhcp, no dns
- tjener 10.0.2.2/255.255.254.0 broadcast 10.0.3.255 (extern), internal network not used, dns-, dhcp-, ldap-server, workstation
- workstation1 via dhcp from tjener
- workstation2 via dhcp from tjener
Coyote, an easy to use GNU/Linux router on a floppy
- wizards runs on linux or windows and creates a floppy with linux
- router boots linux from this floppy, doesn't need a harddisc
- this hardware needs 3c59x drivers on both interfaces, maybe it's a good idea to use two different network cards, so that intel=intern and 3com=external network
User Management in Sarge
add a user in ldap with webmin (http://tjener.intern/)
- then add the workstation to a netgroup. (i.e dhcp154)
but after you did so, there are still problems. you cann't log in from kde at a workstation as a user.
User Management in Etch
More tiny Details
- apt-get install mc # midnight commander clone
- apt-get install adept # kde frontend for apt
- apt-get update ; apt-get upgrade # sicherheits updates einspielen (beide kommandos, benötigt Eintrag in /etc/apt/sources.list
- apt-cache search czech
lang=C for root & avoid to work as root
- dpkg-reconfigure locales
- groups for sound, floppy, etc.
- libnss-ldap / libpam-ldap problem checken
- #debian-edu on irc.oftc.net
- #skolelinux.de on irc.oftc.net
- take a mirror to Prague
subscribe to the mailinglists and post there. there are no stupid questions, just stupid answers!
Skolelinux in class and other interesting stuff
Centralised operation with CDDs: Centralised operated Skolelinux installations at many schools - Talk by Knut Yrvin at DebConf6
Euronews on Linex (tv report in 5 languages - linex is another education based on debian
Presentation about SkoleLinux by Kurt Gramlich was meint Freiheit, warum Opensource, Was meint freie Software, Warum GNU/Linux, Software ist nie fertig, Warum Debian, Was wir wollen!, Lebenslanges Lernen, häufig gestellte Fragen
quoting Lars Risan: EU has financed an economic research program into Fre/Libre/Open Source Software ("FLOSS"). The final report is out (as announced at Slashdot and elsewhere). Extremadura is one of the cases in the report. People on this list will certainly learn a lot more about the case by talking to José and others, but the report may be used as a "heavy" political argument. The main report is not an easy read, it is extremely dry, and propped with numbers. The sub-report describing the cases is more easily informative.
I just also have to mention the case of Beaumont Hospital, from the report, the largest hospital in Ireland. After spending a lot of wasted money on the "Y2K-bug" they experienced a dramatic budget cut on ICT:
- From yearly 1.6 million € to 20.000 €!
600.000 € of the 1.6 million covered annual licenses. So the ICT-staff re-educated itself to do "FLOSS", spending half-a-year on that process, and they searched the FLOSS-world and found 1) fully working FLOSS-alternatives or 2) ways to develop solutions themselves. They were thus able to replace most of their applications and operating systems with Open Source alternatives. (They only had to keep Windows on the desktops, "because the Phd-students denied to use Star Office" -- and Microsoft cut their license-fees by 80%).
Read more here: Case Report: http://www.publicsectoross.info/images/resources/9_616_file.pdf
Full, final report: http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/ict/policy/doc/2006-11-20-flossimpact.pdf
This page should be written completly in english, as it also serves as a documentary for the project in Prague 2007. If you find bits of german, please fix that