- New in Debian 5.0.7
- New in Debian Edu 5.0.6+edu1 Codename "Lenny" released 2010-10-05
- New features in Debian Edu 5.0.4+edu0 Codename "Lenny" released 2010-02-08
- New features in Debian 5.0.4 upon which Debian Edu 5.0.4+edu0 is based
- New features in the "3.0r1 Terra" release 2007-12-05
- New features in the "3.0r0 Terra" release 2007-07-22
- Features in 2.0 release 2006-03-14
- Features in "1.0 Venus" release 2004-06-20
- More information on older releases
New in Debian 5.0.7
Debian 5.0.7 is a maintainance release not adding any new features, just bugfixes which can be installed by upgrading from 5.0.6. Therefore there are no Debian Edu installation images based on 5.0.7.
New in Debian Edu 5.0.6+edu1 Codename "Lenny" released 2010-10-05
Everything that is new in Debian 5.0.5 and 5.0.6, which includes support for some new hardware. 5.0.5 and 5.0.6 are maintainance releases and generally don't add new features.
- several bugfixes, including fixes for Skolelinux bugs #1436, #1427, #1441, #1413, #1450 and Debian bugs #585966, #585772, #585968, #586035 and #585966 plus several which were not filed.
- Merge new web pages from Squeeze. The text is the same, but it provides new translation for zh, compete translations for all included langauges (de es fr it nb nl ru zh), and a rename of the .no page to .nb to reflect the langauge used.
- debian-edu-install: Slovak translation added, updates to German, Basque, Italian, Bokmal, Vietnamese and Chinese translations.
- debian-edu-doc: improvements to Italian, Bokmal and German translations as well as overall content and layout.
- sitesummary: various improvements, most notably several nagios checks where added to monitor system health.
- shutdown-at-night: fix #1435 (did not work with the LDAP host groups populated by lwat)
New features in Debian Edu 5.0.4+edu0 Codename "Lenny" released 2010-02-08
Everything that is new in Debian 5.0.4, see the following paragraph for details.
More than 80 applications relevant for education are included based on user feedback and user statistics (through Debian Edu popularity contest). The full list of packages are listed in the task overview page.
Improved student desktop with educational software shortcuts to GCompris, Kalzium, KGeography, KMplot, KStars, Stopmotion and OpenOffice Write and Impress.
- Dynamic desktop icons and menu options that adjust based on user group.
Gnome added as a supported desktop, see the Installation chapter to learn how to install with GNOME instead of KDE as desktop.
- Support for more than 50 languages.
- Improved system for user administration and machine identification.
- Improved diskless and thin client setup.
- New startup menu letting users choose diskless workstation, thin client or workstation.
- A diskless workstation option is installed but not activated by default on all servers with the thin-client-server profile.
- Main-server is set up as a PXE server for booting thin clients and diskless workstations and for installing to clients' hard or flash drives.
The configuration for DNS and DHCP is stored in LDAP and can be edited using lwat. The DNS server has been switched from bind9 to power-dns.
- LDAP server for directory services (NSS) are now located using a SRV record in DNS instead of hardcoding the 'ldap' DNS name. LDAP server for password checks (PAM) is still using the hardcoded 'ldap' DNS name.
- Multi arch (amd64/i386/powerpc) net installer CD.
- (Most) Packages are downloaded from over the Internet.
- Multi arch (amd64/i386) installer DVD capable of installing without network.
PulseAudio is provided in addition to ALSA and OSS for sound on workstations and diskless workstations machines.
The Barebone profile has been renamed to Minimal, to better reflect what it is.
- The Nagios3 configuration is now automatically created by sitesummary.
The per-user file ~/.xsession-errors is now truncated automatically when the user logs in to avoid filling up the home directory partition with a log that grows indefinitely. The user can disable this by creating ~/.xsession-errors-enable. The system administrator can configure the system to redirect the file to /dev/null by editing /etc/X11/Xsession.d/05debian-edu-truncate-xerrorlog.
- To ease installation of Debian Edu on hardware needing non-free firmware, the CD and DVD include the following firmware packages: firmware-bnx2, firmware-bnx2x, firmware-ipw2x00, firmware-iwlwifi, firmware-qlogic and firmware-ralink.
New features in Debian 5.0.4 upon which Debian Edu 5.0.4+edu0 is based
- New Linux kernel 2.6.26 supports more hardware
With this release, Debian GNU/Linux updates from X.Org 7.1 to X.Org 7.3 (which includes support of newer hardware) and now includes the desktop environments KDE 3.5.10 and GNOME 2.22. Updates of other desktop applications include Iceweasel (version 3.0.6, which is the unbranded Firefox web browser), Icedove (version 22.214.171.124, which is the unbranded Thunderbird mail client) as well as upgrades to Evolution 2.22.3, OpenOffice.org 2.4.1, and Pidgin 2.4.3 (formerly known as Gaim).
- Installation from CD/DVD from within Windows
- Switched from sysklogd to rsyslog as the syslog collector.
For more information see the page New in Lenny on wiki.debian.org
New features in the "3.0r1 Terra" release 2007-12-05
- Much improved documentation with updated translations to German, Norwegian Bokmal and Italian
- Includes more than 40 bug fixes, improvements and security updates that came to our attentention after the 3.0r0 release
New features in the "3.0r0 Terra" release 2007-07-22
- Based on Debian 4.0 Etch released 2007-04-08.
- Graphical installer with mouse support
- Boot splash with usplash
- LSB 3.1 compatible
- Linux kernel version 2.6.18
- Support for SATA controllers and hard disks
- X.org version 7.1.
- KDE desktop environment version 3.5.5
OpenOffice.org version 2.0.
- LTSP5 (version 0.99debian12)
- Automatic tracking of installed machines using Sitesummary.
- Automatic configuration of munin using data from Sitesummary.
- Automatic version control of configuration files in /etc/ using svk.
- File systems sizes can be extended while the file system is mounted.
- Support automatically extending file system based on predefined rules.
- Local Device Support on thin clients.
- New processor architectures: amd64 (fully supported) and powerpc (experimental support, installation media only boots on the newworld subarchitecture)
- Multi-architecture DVD for i386, amd64 and powerpc
- Regression: the CD-install requires Internet access during installation. Previous versions could be installed from one CD without Internet access.
Regression: webmin is now removed from Debian because of problems supporting it. We've added a new web based user administration tool named lwat, which doesn't has the same functionality as wlus, the old user administration tool. But wlus requires webmin.
Regression: swi-prolog is not part of etch, but was part of sarge. The HowTo teach and learn Chapter describes how to install swi-prolog on etch.
Features in 2.0 release 2006-03-14
- Based on Debian 3.1 Sarge released 2005-06-06.
- Linux kernel version 2.6.8.
- XFree86 version 4.3.
- KDE version 3.3.
Features in "1.0 Venus" release 2004-06-20
- Based on Debian 3.0 Woody released 2002-07-19.
- Linux kernel version 2.4.26.
- XFree86 version 4.1.
- KDE version 2.2.
More information on older releases
More information on the older releases can be found at http://developer.skolelinux.no/info/cdbygging/news.html.