New features in Debian Edu Jessie
New features for Debian Edu 8+edu1 Codename Jessie
This is the second release of Debian Edu Jessie. Please report feedback to email@example.com!
Debian Edu 8+edu1 Codename Jessie is a bugfix release which aggregates several bugfixes from Debian jessie point releases, resulting in new installation media.
If you are already running Debian Edu 8+edu0 Jessie, apt upgrade is sufficient to upgrade to Debian Edu 8+edu1.
New features for Debian Edu 8+edu0 Codename Jessie
This is the first release of Debian Edu Jessie. It was released on July 2nd 2016.
New version of debian-installer from Debian Jessie, see installation manual for more details.
- Everything which is new in Debian 8 Jessie, eg:
- Linux kernel 3.16.x
- Desktop environments KDE Plasma Workspace 4.11.13, GNOME 3.14, Xfce 4.10, LXDE 0.5.6
- new optional desktop environment: MATE 1.8
- KDE Plasma Workspace is installed by default; to choose one of the others see this manual.
- the browsers Iceweasel 31 ESR and Chromium 41
- Educational toolbox GCompris 14.12
- Music creator Rosegarden 14.02
- GOsa 2.7.4
- LTSP 5.5.4
- Debian Jessie includes about 42000 packages available for installation.
Documentation and translation updates
- Translation updates for the templates used in the installer. These templates are now available in 29 languages.
- Two manual translations have been completed: Dutch and Norwegian Bokmål.
- The Debian Edu Jessie Manual is fully translated to German, French, Italian, Danish, Dutch and Norwegian Bokmål. A partly translated version exists for Spanish.
Other changes compared to the previous release
squid: Shutdown and reboot of the main server takes longer than before due to a new default setting shutdown_lifetime 30 seconds. As an example the delay could be set to 10 seconds by appending the line shutdown_lifetime 10 seconds to /etc/squid3/squid.conf.
ssh: The root user is no longer allowed to login via SSH with password. The old default PermitRootLogin yes has been replaced with PermitRootLogin without-password, so ssh-keys will still work.
slbackup-php: To be able to use the slbackup-php site (which uses root logins via ssh), PermitRootLogin yes has to be set temporarily in /etc/ssh/sshd_config.
sugar: As the Sugar desktop was removed from Debian Jessie, it is also not available in Debian Edu jessie.
- None yet.