New features in Debian Edu Buster
New features for Debian Edu 10+edu0 Codename Buster
New version of debian-installer from Debian Buster, see its installation manual for more details.
New artwork based on the ?XXX theme, the default artwork for Debian 10 Buster.
New CFEngine configuration management (replacing unmaintained package cfengine2 with cfengine3); this is a major change, for details see the official CFEngine documentation.
- New default desktop environment Xfce (replacing KDE).
- The architecture of the LTSP chroot now defaults to the server one.
- Everything which is new in Debian 10 Buster, eg:
- Linux kernel XXX
- Desktop environments KDE Plasma Workspace XXX, GNOME XXX, Xfce XXX, LXDE XXX, MATE XXX
- Firefox XXX ESR and Chromium XXX
- Educational toolbox GCompris XXX
- Music creator Rosegarden XXX
- GOsa XXX
- LTSP XXX
- Debian Buster includes more than XXX packages available for installation.
Documentation and translation updates
- Translation updates for the templates used in the installer. These templates are now available in XXX languages.
- The Debian Edu Buster Manual is fully translated to German, French, Italian, Danish, Dutch, Norwegian Bokmål and Japanese.
- Partly translated versions exist for Spanish, Polish and Simplified Chinese.
Other changes compared to the previous release
- The USB ISO image allows offline installations again.
- Support for running Java applets in the Firefox ESR browser has been dropped upstream.
- Support for nonfree flash has been dropped from the Firefox ESR browser. We have also decided to drop the free but unmaintained gnash implementation.
- New GOsa²-Plugin Password Management.
- Unusable options have been removed from the GOsa² web interface.
New netgroup available to exclude systems belonging to the shut-down-at-night-hosts netgroup from being waken up.
- Improved TLS/SSL support inside the internal network. A RootCA certificate is used to sign server certificates and user home directories are configured to accept it at account creation time; besides Firefox ESR, also Chromium and Konqueror can now use HTTPS without the need to allow insecure connections.
With X2Go server now available in Debian, the related packages are now installed on all systems with Profile LTSP-Server.