converted to 1.6 markup
debianedu#Introduction to DebianEdu / Skolelinux + what + who + why pages combined on new page Introduction
|Deletions are marked like this.||Additions are marked like this.|
|Line 1:||Line 1:|
|= Why? =
'''Why consider Skolelinux?'''
== Skolelinux has several advantages: ==
* First and foremost, Skolelinux is ''free software''. This is ethically important for schools. School should not be an arena where piracy is accepted or encouraged, but a place that promotes the making and sharing of knowledge. Skolelinux respects this need.
* Skolelinux gives great economical savings. Teleplan, an independent agency, has [[attachment:teleplan_03112003.pdf;|estimated]] (report available in Norwegian only) savings up to 60% by using Skolelinux with thin clients, compared to a traditional Windows solution. These savings are mainly due to ''eased maintenance'', and ''not'' because Skolelinux has zero cost
* Skolelinux is part of Debian, and as such, is supported by a large and vibrant community. This means lots of momentum, development, and a guarantee that Skolelinux will be around in years to come.
* By enabling reuse of old equipment, Skolelinux helps save the environment. Instead of trashing old hardware, it can be used as thin clients.
* Skolelinux is very stable and reliable. The students will experience predictability and a system that ''works''. Additionally, Skolelinux is less vulnerable to worms and viruses.
* Skolelinux is made by schools for schools. Thus, Skolelinux is tailored to school needs.
* Skolelinux makes the users independent of supplier, and can decide themselves when to upgrade both hardware and software.
* Skolelinux has user-friendly licences that give you ''rights'' – not ''responsibilities''!