Please create a wiki page with your proposal at DebianArt/Themes.
If you do not want to do a whole theme, you are welcome to submit a wallpaper or other images to DebianArt.
Please write down a line or two about your idea.
Copyright and license
Please add the license under which your artwork can be distributed with Debian GNU/Linux. For instance for the GPL v2+ add the line:
"Copyright: year, your full name <email@domain>, License: GPL-2.0+"
A theme consists of a whole set of graphics. You do NOT need to do them all until a decision has been made which artwork will be distributed with the next release of Debian GNU/Linux.
But you should know that all these graphics have to be done at some point - and you should be willing to do them.
The finally submitted artworks must be in a source format that is suitable for future modifications using free software.
Debian logo with text
The Debian logo has been relicensed since Wheezy. So you are welcome to use the swirl with or without the word "debian", written in the font "Poppl Laudatio Condensed" with a red dot for the "i".
- GRUB 2: 640x480, 24bit, file PNG.
Isolinux: 640x300px, 4bit color depth (means: 16 colors). View Make Sys Image.
- Syslinux: 640x300px, 16bit color depth (means: 65,536 colors), in PNG format.
- Plymouth: a SVG file (or at the very least a collection of PNGs for the different elements of scene and background).
- A picture with 800x75px, 16bit (65536 colors).
Possibly a gtk theme to match the colors of the image. The theme must be stripped and default custom buttons will not be used - see the discussion about the stripped Bladr theme.
- recommended to be a SVG file
It must look nice when cropped to either of those resolutions (spacefun is a good example of what to do NOT):
- 1280x1024 or 2560x2048 5:4 SXGA
- 1600x1200 or 2048x1536 4:3 standard
- 1920x1200 or 2560x1600 16:10 widescreen
- 1920x1080 16:9 FullHD
A picture that can be used by GDM 3, KDM and other desktop managers.
- Same requirements as for the desktop wallpaper
- SVG format recommended
- The picture should be able to fade smoothly into the desktop wallpaper (f.i. from KSplash to KDE).
- CD/DVD labels
- Website Banner;
- Blog banner (to allow people to promote the release in their blogs and in bits.d.o)
- Wiki banner (rounded corners, around 380x380, non-square works too)
- Stickers (for laptops etc)
Gamma: Please gamma-correct all this artwork. 0.45 (not 2.2).
If you want to get inspired how a theme can look like, see: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/ThemingOverview