The Debian Project was officially founded by Ian Murdock on August 16th, 1993. The Debian Community celebrates it's birthday, Debian Day, on this day each year. (It has also been called Debian Appreciation Day.)
There is also a day of activities called a Debian Day (DebianDayDebConf) shortly before or after the yearly Debian Conference, DebConf.
Debian Day by year pages
You can check if a there is a Debian Day celebration being organized in a city near you and look to past celebrations on the following pages. If there is no information for your location, you are invited to create it.
Organize a local Debian Day celebration
If you want to organize Debian Day for your city, we urge you to follow these instructions:
- Select a place for the celebration that has:
- Easy access
- That have sufficient electrical outlets, if they want to do an install fest.
- Sponsors: Ideally you should choose sponsors that don't have links to private products.
- Activities: some activities that you may wish to choose include:
- Install Fest
- Key signing party
- Talks about:
- Free Software
Advertising: If you have made some art (share: ?DebianDayArtwork) for this event, share it with everybody! and put link for it here. Some examples can be t-shirts, top cd...
- Create your Debian Day event page under the country of you're living in. If your city doesn't appear, can create the information necessary in the right space provided.
Go to DebianDay 2016 and share your details and links.
?DebianDayArtwork - If you have trouble creating graphic elements, promote and publicize the event. We created a session to share this type of graphic material.
CPAN, the Comprehensive Perl Archive Network, has birthday on the same day.