- This wiki page is intended to be the start of an effort to identify the key points to be able to strap and boot Debian from sources. There is a real need to bootstrap Debian from sources from porter point of view. There are duplicated efforts on doing new architectures for Debian (avr32, sh4, uclibc, cross-compiling, ..) Other benefits than minimizing porting effort is that it shall allow build a customized Debian for a special subarch flavour with special flags, much useful nowadays on ARM and MIPS architectures.
- There is an on going effort to be able to bootstrap gcc cross toolchains from source, this needs:
- Remove dpkg-cross toolchain build dependency
- Add uClibc strapping
- Add support to strap all arches
- Packages need a way to change dependencies, either adding a field to the control file or overwritting them (need to check udeb approach). A proposal needs to be written. Wookey: via DEB_BUILD_OPTS=bootstrap