Debian Ciel 2.2
Authors and Contributers:
Whoever wants to join! Currently,
Design: Amir Dizdarević (discontinued contribution to Ciel for the following reasons.
Technical: Jon Dowland
Hosting: Yves-Alexis Perez, Jordan Metzmeier, Valessio Brito
The theme now has 2 distinct versions:
* Debian Ciel with the pinkish Debian icon * Debian Ciel Discreet with the dark gray icons
Ciel means sky in French, which is sort of the motto of this theme with its aim to be light on the eye. The theme provides wallpapers for both 4:3 and 16:9, as well as a gdm, bootsplash and grub background, a kdm theme, a ksplash theme and debian icons based on Tango. Screenshots and mock-ups will show the 16:9 version. The theme is public domain, so do with it whatever you want. Note however that the Debian logo used in it has its own license (http://www.debian.org/logos/). The kdm and ksplash themes are basically rip offs of other themes and have to therefore be GPLed.
I would kindly ask anyone to contribute, as coding boot splash and similar endeavours are not my kind of thing. See TODO section. Thank you!
Notes to packagers start with the bold word PACK:, whereas notes to packagers of needed dependencies in regards to possible config changes start with a word describing the package, e.g. GNOME: or KDE:, or will have a note such as DEP:.
- Debian Ciel 2.2
Check out the theme using our git:
These are archives without sources.
Debian Ciel 2.2. (with the pinkish logos)
Debian Ciel Discreet 2.2. (with the gray logos)
The files say 1.2.2., but this is just a typo. Sorry!
Both Flavours With Sources
Previous Versions (Theme and Sources)
Previous 2.0 version, hosting courtesy of ?JordanMetzmeier:
Previous 2.0 version with a grey Debian icon, hosting courtesy of Yves-Alexis Perez:
Previous 1.2 version:
2.2. - 2010.10.23
- Final commit -- from now on bug fixes only
- The theme now has 2 versions -- one with the pinkish Debian branding (Debian Ciel)
- and another with a dark gray one (Debian Ciel Discreet).
- Added a Debian Ciel Tango Icon Theme, which is basically Tango with the start-here icon
- changed from those blue shoes to a Debian icon.
- All theme proposals were reverted to the default Debian settings due to stability concerns.
- These are basically Clearlooks for everything GTK (not sure about Xfce?). They are fine for the skin colour-wise. The icon theme is still debated and I am also hoping we will see the lxde logout splash.
2.1. - 2010.10.14
Debian Ciel got a bit of lipstick Reintroducing the rather pinkish Debian logo by popular request.
- Thanks to Yves and all others for the suggestion!
- overhauled the wallpaper and other backgrounds; slightly more gradients
- SLiM theme!
- new and better KDM theme!
- GDM / KDM backgrounds now without disturbing logo (thanks to secipolla)
- new pinkish Debian icon
- added Xfce theming proposal
2.0. - 2010.10.13
a new, brighter and happier version with clouds
- now with KDM and KSplash theme
- wallpaper, GDM and grub background are now the same image
- added dark grey Debian menu icon
changed GTK theme proposal to ?MurrinaAquaish
- changed Metacity theme proposal to Murrina Rounded
- changed GTK icon theme proposal to Tango
- added LXDE theme proposals (Openbox Clearlooks and GTK as above); also made an LXDE logout splash
1.2. - 2010.09.17
changed Gnome theme proposal to ?MurrinaBlu (GTK) and Unity (Metacity) -- screenshots are added.
- changed notification proposal to notify-osd instead of the classic Gnome one.
- added warning about missing SLiM theme.
1.1. - 2010.09.17
- added another classic grub2 background with more contrast
1.0. - 2010.09.16
- first draft
PACK: Not packaged yet.
Boot Splash [UNDONE!]
There is no bootsplash/plymouth/usplash/splashy code, but feel free to make it from the image provided. I have plans to make Plymouth code.
The idea is for the logo to "pulsate" (this could be achieved by making an animation with the dark shadow growing/retreating).
Grub Background [UNDONE!]
Screenshot coming soon... It's basically the wallpaper minus the logo.
GRUB: Change background to proposed wallpaper; Set matching foreground colour (something like a very dark grey maybe?)
The login managers now all have the backgrounds without a logo to make a much cooler transition. In KDE4 the transition looks very nice with the logo fading in.
I've changed the logo you see when GDM start up from computer to the start-here.png icon to suit the theme. That would require the packager of GDM to change said setting in case this theme gets selected.
See Icon theme for the icon change.
PACK: Not packaged yet. GDM: Change background to proposed. GDM: Change top logo to start-here.png .
This is a rip off of the default KDM theme with the background changed to the proposed wallpaper and also a brand new login panel.
PACK: Not packaged yet. KDM: Change default KDM theme to proposed.
I've finally completed the SLiM theme, too.
PACK: Not packaged yet. SLIM: Change default SLIM theme to proposed.
This is a rip off of the default KDE splash with just the background changed to the proposed wallpaper.
PACK: Not packaged yet. KSPLASH: Change default KSplash theme to proposed.
A simple splash image for Gnome. Since this is not used by default anymore, I didn't bother to update this one.
PACK: Not packaged yet. (Are we keeping this at all?)
?: Change default mouse cursor theme to dmz-cursor-theme.
Since all other theming will be discontinued for Squeeze and the defaults will be retained, I didn't add any other screenshots.
No changes to the theme, thus the default Oxygen themes and icons. The KMenu icon has been changed to the Debian icon. KDM and Ksplash themes are above.
KDE: Change default KDE menu start icon to proposed; Include icon into own package (or another?).
The default LXDE icon was changed to the proposed pinkish Debian logo.
LXDE: Change default GTK icon theme to debian-ciel-tango LXDE: Change /usr/share/lxde/images/logout-banner.png to proposed. LXDE: Change /usr/share/lxde/images/lxde-icon.png to proposed.
XFCE: Change default GTK icon theme to debian-ciel-tango XFCE: Change start menu icon to Debian logo: /usr/share/icons/debian-ciel-tango/scalable/places/start-here.svg
Debian Tango Icon Theme
This is basically the Tango Icon theme with a Debian icon to achieve branding.
PACK: Not packaged yet. DEP: Tango Icon Theme.
CD Cover [UNDONE!]
A front cover has been provided.
A nice installer banner
GUI INSTALLER: Change banner image to proposed.
- Boot splash code (Splashy, Usplash, Plymouth - I can't code any of those, although I might try playing with Plymouth)
- Packaging, testing.
Public Domain, except for the Debian Logo:
and the KDM and KSplash themes (see their README).
None at the moment.
Discussion and Feedback
A semi-official discussion board can be found here: