#debian-academy on oftc
Welcome to the wiki home of the Debian Academy team. Join the team, participate and get ready to work on some tasks!
The Debian Academy team aims to define and run an official Debian E-Learning platform to create courses about Debian Development topics for those who want to learn how to help as contributor, maintainer or developer in a social or in a technical way directly to the Debian Project.
Debian Academy E-Learning Platform
Use your Debian Salsa GitLab credentials as Debian Developer or as guest user to log into Debian Academy.
To create a Debian Salsa account, please do it at Salsa Register.
To subscribe to our mailing list you can do it here.
When creating video contents at Moodle, please upload your videos first at Peertube Debian Social and link them to your course contents inside Moodle.
- Use your Debian Salsa account to log into Peertube Debian Social.
- Courses can be created and shared in any language.
Debian Academy Beginner How To
If you want to know in a more detailed way how you can join to an IRC channel, subscribe to a mailing list or creating a Salsa account, you can follow our Beginner How To:
Debian Academy user documentation
To have a full own and official Debian E-Learning platform for the Debian Project to create courses about getting involved directly into the Debian Community, to teach about how to help in the development of Debian in different teams and activities like Debian Packaging, Debian tools used for communication within the community (IRC, Mailing Lists), Reproducible Builds, Translations, Video Team, Salsa GitLab, Web, Publicity, Debian Live, Infrastructure and any Debian Development related topic, taking advantage of some existent E-Learning Free Software projects to attract and facilitate to current Debian users interested in being Debian collaborators and developers with something more than written documentation, using video explanations, creating structured and updated courses about some specific topic, having an index by field, virtual environments to work, examples, exercises and interaction with the instructors, who could be Debian users, collaborators, maintainers or developers who enjoy teaching others.
- To transform or to create some Debian documentation into a Moodle or an edX course format.
What is not Debian Academy?
An ambiguous E-Learning project to teach general topics about Free Software and GNU/Linux. Debian Academy will be focused only on Debian Development topics for those who want to learn how to help as contributor, maintainer or developer in a social or in a technical way directly to the Debian Project.
Debian users who are curious about how things are all made, who want to look behind the curtain in a nice way and probably find out how they could be part of the game themselves.
https://deb.li/3izfd - A Sandstorm Pad document for collecting brainstorm results, should lead you to
How can you help?
Create a course at Debian Academy about some Debian Development topic!
- Join our wiki, become a team member and tell us on which tasks are you interested in working on.
- Join our IRC channel #debian-academy in OFTC and share your proposals and questions!
Make proposals for course creation, the usage of the E-Learning platform among the interested instructors, contribute to define work methods, contents goals and curriculum at Debian Academy Sandstorm
Create and update the Debian Academy user documentation at our Debian Salsa Wiki.
- Help to customize the look and feel of our Moodle instance.
- Enable or create a dark mode or theme for the Debian Academy interface.
- Create a website for the Debian Academy Project.
Tasks to do
- Plan the courses creation, the E-Learning platform usage among the interested instructors, to define working methods, contents goals and curriculum : in progress
- Create the first courses at the platform.
What do we need currently?
- Debian collaborators, maintainers and developers who would like to help as instructors, coordinators, planners, managers and in the technical infrastructure.
- To plan the creation of the courses, the usage of the E-Learning platform among the interested instructors, to define work methods, contents goals and curriculums.
People interested in planning and coordination
- Mitja (+instructor support)
People interested in participating as instructors creating courses
- samueloph (I would like to create a packaging course)
- highvoltage (I started work on package management videos before, can turn it into something more structured that builds up to something like the course that samueloph wants to do, although I'm short on time right now so might only be able to look into this in 2021)
- eamanu (I would like to create packaging course too, open to other course that could be interested)
People interested in helping in the technical infrastructure
People interested in helping with Moodle customization, interface appearance, graphics, web design and user experience
We would like to thank to Teckids e.V. for the support, hardware and software on which Debian Academy runs.
Donating to Teckids you help to Free Software and E-Learning Education.