Volunteer Managers for DebConf6
Note: This page was practically copied over from DC5.
The Tasks of a Volunteer Manager
In the past we had a workforce of 30+ helpers in Oslo with coordinators for 2 bigger task forces (reception/information and sleeping quarters guard). Those coordinators would
- find people to man the stations during all (necessary) times (perferably well in advance; oslo had detailed time tables where people could sign up),
- answer the questions the volunteers have, show them (==perform) the necessary tasks
write up the FAQs for each job (e.g. for the information: telefon numbers to the janitor, the taxi cab company, the code to disarm the fire alarm...),
- know where your volunteers are (if conference attendees look for one (we should use special colored tshirts for volunteers)
- find something nice and motivating to give as a present to the volunteers.
- explain the general goal the volunteers should have: make the event a pleasent, save and smooth one for everyone (including themself).
In Oslo there was a general meeting two days ahead of the start of debcamp with general inforation (pep-talk and real info).·
Task List for Volunteers
This is an incomplete list of tasks for volunteers:
waiting for people at the airport, giving them indications on how to get to Oaxtepec (only the main arrival day or two) (so far (march 25) we have 31 people arriving on may 13, 24 on may 12, 20 on may 6 and 178 who haven't said)
- packing conference bags
- setting up network access in the area
- moving around Oaxtepec, finding good places for people to go to (i.e. restaurants, bars, night activities (Cuautla?), banks, etc.)
- preparing name tags
- information desk
- registration desk
- carrying tables and chairs both before and after the conf
- cleaning out the hotel, work rooms and auditorium after the event
- documenting the original state of all rooms we will touch (digital camera)
- filming talks and events
- guarding the area/work rooms when everyone is gone
- cleaning up junk after barbeque
get some citrons and take care, that stockholm doesn't sing
Volunteer listing/help offering
If you want to help by volunteering to work with us, please add yourself to DebConf6LocalVolunteerDirectory. Please provide your mail and phone numbers to help contacting you, and the tasks you can help with.